Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
An interesting van on E-Bay

This popped up on E-Bay today Item: 262575190842, rather unusual and with history.

Re: An interesting van on E-Bay

There is a van listed for the Bonhams auction at Beaulieu Autumn autojumble next month .

Merv

Well, the chrome radiator surround is off a 1934 to 1937 Series 1 Morris 8 with a home made aperture near the bottom of the false honeycombe for the A7 starting handle (on the Morris 8 the starting handle enters the engine bay below the radiator surround supported by a bracket attached below the bumper bar). The radiator itself is not Morris 8, at least the top tank isn't.

The gearbox is definitely not Morris Eight, it looks to me to be from the earlier pre 1934 Morris Minor, possibly a Minor Family Eight, though I think it's probably off an earlier Morris Minor. To be honest, I'm surprised the Morris gearbox mates up easily to the Austin 7 engine - it would be interesting to learn what modifications were carried out.

As you can see the handbrake lever is attached and pivoted to the nearside of the gearbox, this was a feature of the Morris Minor but certainly not of the Morris Eight 1934 to 1937.

Jeff - 1936 Morris Eight Series 1 Tourer and Austin 7 Van (basket case).

Location: Almost but not quite, the far North East of England

How can it be on a LWB chassis if it was built in 1929?
Interesting (alleged) provenance but not my cup of tea.

This below is a 1931 / 32 Morris Minor 3 speed box - similar but in no way identical to the one in the Seven van which is said to be 4 speed. So the precise parentage of the box for the moment remains a mystery.

Jeff.

Location: Almost but not quite, the far North East of England

This van was discussed at length on the Forum and on Facebook a year or so ago.

The only part from an Austin Seven is the engine, from which it presumably claims its date and identity. The rest of it appears to be the love-child of a later Rosengart and a Morris Eight, with a post-war Spanish-built body.

The seller was asked last year to provide evidence to support his claims, but did not respond.

From what I have seen and heard , it would appear that Rosengart can be discounted as the b******ds father. No evidence as been brought forward to show any Rosengart involvement.

The dynamo housing is from a Rosengart.

I beg to differ. Rosengart fan pulley,s do not çrank for adjustment as Austin but slide up a slot. Not a good photograph I agree

Edit, I have just found a photograph of what purports to be an early mag Rosengart engine with the Austin style Dynamo set up.My 1930 engine has as previously described

For the photos last year, the Morris radiator cowl had been removed, revealing what appeared to be a Rosengart radiator. At that time it also had disc wheels.

The dashboard was also a mystery - certainly neither Austin nor Morris, although fitted with '29-period A7 instruments.

Its a Chummy dashboard

hedd jones
Its a Chummy dashboard

Don't think so Hedd.

Take a look at http://vintageman.zenfolio.com/p686224276/h63DBFE5D#h6f2d12d8 which shows clearly that it's a bulbous, pressed steel unit. The picture is one of several of the vehicle shortly after import.

Yep. Dashboard identical to my March 1930 chummy. Just like it says on that website!

Hedd,

You must have a very special Chummy going by the picture Martin posted-

The bulbous panel looks to have a Lucas SM5 switch panel but the Speedometer seems to have an ammeter inserted.

Tony.

Comparing the two you can see what I consider to be the remains of the Chummy dashboard, it appears to have been simply grafted on to the top section which I would guess derives from another vehicle or fabrication of some sort.

Bonzer Photos: South Wales Austin 7 Club National Rally &emdash; Mystery Spanish van dash

With the photos side-by-side, I can see where Hedd and Ruairidh are coming from. It seems like a heck of a lot of work!

Next question - does anyone recognise the steering wheel - or at least the head with the hand controls?

It's a pity that the Ebay listing doesn't show any details of the chassis, suspension or axles.