Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Speedo drive direction

Hi all

Finally got to drive my car for the first time this weekend. All went really well except that the speedo did not register anything.. I've since checked and found that the speedo drive turns in the wrong direction for the speedo (checked the speedo with a drill).

I have a 4 speed gearbox... Is there a gearbox that can be purchased that changes the direction of the drive cable?

Re: Speedo drive direction

This was made to alter the speed of the output due to a change in axle ratio.

If you made one with three identical gears it would reverse the input direction.

photo DSCN0065_zpsntnqvfvn.jpg

photo DSCN0061_zpskrxzarzx.jpg

photo DSC01815_zpsb7xx37il.jpg

photo Tay GB dwg_zpshamog7m8.jpg

Thanks Ruairidh

Hi Ruairidh,
I may not have my brain in gear (ha ha) but surely your two gear box is reversing the direction of cable output rotation(as well as altering speed)and the three gear you suggest would leave the output cable doing the same as the input cable?
Regards,
Steve V.

Hi Stephen,

this confused a number of people when I first posted the pictures (it is not my gearbox by the way).

Two gears on the set up shown will keep rotation the same, three will reverse it. The key in understanding this is to remember that the cable comes in from one direction and leaves from another - look at it this way and it will all become clear.

If you want to reverse using two gears you need input cable on one side and output cable on the other side of the box.

Thanks Ruairidh,
I will have to have a sleep and then rethink!

Steve v.

In on the left out on the right will reverse direction.

Tony.

Or if you make the same gearbox with the input fitting on the rear plate and the same size gears (all else the same) then you will have a drive reversing box.

Tony.

Stephen Voller
Thanks Ruairidh,
I will have to have a sleep and then rethink!

Steve v.

Here is the previous discussion (and confusion) on it Stephen:

http://pub25.bravenet.com/forum/static/show.php?usernum=2099944454&frmid=5&msgid=936935&cmd=show

By George I've got it!

Steve V.