Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Maxi valve springs

I Have used Maxi/Wolseley 2200 valve springs in several A7 motors without any issues. However, I have always used them with BMC "A" series valves, collets, and valve caps; The BMC valve caps need to be machined down to accept the smaller diameter Maxi valve spring. The A series valves are available in a range of head sizes, but all (except the Metro turbo motor exhausts) have 9/32" stems, the same as the A7; the A series valves are slightly longer than A7 ones, so the seat pressure is reduced as against using them with A7 valves.

Had my eye on some Maxi valves on ebay, but missed out on them. Will keep looking.

Frank Hernandez
I can try to dig out the figures if you want, I'm sure they are gathering dust somewhere in the workshop.

Hi Frank, it would be interesting data for future reference. What valves were you using with the springs?

All the best.

Tom

Stuart Giles
I Have used Maxi/Wolseley 2200 valve springs in several A7 motors without any issues. However, I have always used them with BMC "A" series valves, collets, and valve caps; The BMC valve caps need to be machined down to accept the smaller diameter Maxi valve spring. The A series valves are available in a range of head sizes, but all (except the Metro turbo motor exhausts) have 9/32" stems, the same as the A7; the A series valves are slightly longer than A7 ones, so the seat pressure is reduced as against using them with A7 valves.

I now have a set of Maxi springs for my engine, and am looking at what else I might need to do to use them.

Currently the inlet valves are 1.156" Jack French valves, they do not have a tapered groove for the collets, but are currently installed with A7 tapered collets and caps. The exhaust valves are standard 1" A7 with the pin retention. The engine was rebuilt by my father several years ago, but has not been run yet (it's a very long term project!!).

I need to check the length of the Jack French inlet valves, but my suspicion is that they are are Mini 997cc inlet valves (part No AEA574). If so I will probably replace the collets with the Mini 3 groove collets (CAM6975) and turned down caps (AHU1897) - I think this is what the Pigsty parts are. The A7 valves are 82.6mm long, whilst the Mini ones are 88mm long, does the A7 engine accommodate this extra 5mm in length?

For the exhaust valves, I am not sure whether to retain the pin type or swap to the split collet type, the later feels like the more robust solution to me? However if the 88mm Mini valves will fit in, then I might as well fit the 1" version of those (AEA434) with the Mini collets and caps to match the inlet valves.

I would welcome your thoughts and opinions on these options.

Thanks.

David Offer
Stuart Giles

I now have a set of Maxi springs for my engine, and am looking at what else I might need to do to use them.

Currently the inlet valves are 1.156" Jack French valves, they do not have a tapered groove for the collets, but are currently installed with A7 tapered collets and caps. The exhaust valves are standard 1" A7 with the pin retention. The engine was rebuilt by my father several years ago, but has not been run yet (it's a very long term project!!).

I need to check the length of the Jack French inlet valves, but my suspicion is that they are are Mini 997cc inlet valves (part No AEA574). If so I will probably replace the collets with the Mini 3 groove collets (CAM6975) and turned down caps (AHU1897) - I think this is what the Pigsty parts are. The A7 valves are 82.6mm long, whilst the Mini ones are 88mm long, does the A7 engine accommodate this extra 5mm in length?

If they are Mini 997 valves they will have a parallel collet groove about 5/16" long; as used on A series motors till (IIRC) the mid '70s. These valves should be used with the corresponding parallel collet rather than the later triple groove collet which goes with the matching style of valve. Re the longer valve length, I've never had a problem with this, but I have always used them with reprofiled tappets, which obviously drops them down in the tappet guide a bit; if the cam has been reprofiled too the tappet is dropped even more (because the cam's base circle will have been ground. Then I usually skim .050" or so off the the top of the tappet guide to ensure there's working clearance for the tappet locknut.

David Offer
For the exhaust valves, I am not sure whether to retain the pin type or swap to the split collet type, the later feels like the more robust solution to me? However if the 88mm Mini valves will fit in, then I might as well fit the 1" version of those (AEA434) with the Mini collets and caps to match the inlet valves.

I would welcome your thoughts and opinions on these options.

Thanks.

I've never used the pin type A7 valves in a performance application -just a bit nervous of one of the pins shearing. But using them with the Maxi springs would result in a higher seat pressure than you would have for the A series inlet valves because the installed spring length is shorter when using A7 valves; I would install mini 850/A30/A35/minor 948 exhausts, which are the same head size as the A7 valves as you say.

I have just pulled one of my 1.156" inlet valves out, and it is 3.442" / 87.17 mm long with a 5/16" parallel collet groove, so certain it is a 977cc Mini inlet valve (it is marked AE3568). The cam is a fast road from Vince Leek, and has flattened tappets, so no clearance issues.

I will get some matching 1" Mini valves for the exhaust. As regards the correct collets for these valves, they no longer appear to be available. Maybe thats why the picture of the collet and cap set shown on the Pigsty website has the 3 groove collets and matching caps, although the pictures of their valves show they have the parallel collet grooves. On this basis, I assume using them with the earlier type valves should be OK?

Update - just looked more closely at their pictures. Collets and caps are matched to their race valves which do have 3 grooves.

David Offer
I have just pulled one of my 1.156" inlet valves out, and it is 3.442" / 87.17 mm long with a 5/16" parallel collet groove, so certain it is a 977cc Mini inlet valve (it is marked AE3568). The cam is a fast road from Vince Leek, and has flattened tappets, so no clearance issues.

I will get some matching 1" Mini valves for the exhaust. As regards the correct collets for these valves, they no longer appear to be available. Maybe thats why the picture of the collet and cap set shown on the Pigsty website has the 3 groove collets and matching caps, although the pictures of their valves show they have the parallel collet grooves. On this basis, I assume using them with the earlier type valves should be OK?

Update - just looked more closely at their pictures. Collets and caps are matched to their race valves which do have 3 grooves.

The good news is that I have found and ordered 4 pairs of the correct collets from Bull Motif Mini Spares - the last ones they had :-).

For the exhausts I will go with the 74 on single groove 1" valves and collets, as these are readily available.