Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Bore Wear

Ruairidh

Nice to hear from you, the CC engine was planned for this journey so I could keep up with Awkward and all fabrication work one machining done well in time.

First long run went really well cruising on the A14 at 70mph and the engine not completely setup. When we got to Southwold for breakfast I check water level in the radiator and there was about 1/4 pint of oil in it. After Awkward pressurised the water jacket and oil ways he found a very small hole or fault in the mail oil gallery, we made up a sleeve and fitted it. At first it seemed to be ok but after a while we had oil in the water.

So 5 days before we were due to leave for France we had not choice but to fit the tired trusty seven engine.

Day 1
A12, M25, M2 to Dover
 photo 59DF871B-2B5B-430B-9732-9B<a <br />
<br />
A16 to Abbeville, A28 to Rouen first overnight stop<br />
<a href= photo 68B05858-5879-4124-BF47-77ABF8F6E215_zpslhdwdviy.jpg

Day 2

N154 Evreux, Druex, Chartres, Orleans then A20 to Brive-la-Graillarde 2nd overnight stop

Day 3

A20 to Toulouse, D813 then D6113 to Carrcassonne
 photo 480EC1A9-C818-4156-8FE8-A49E8CD8487A_zpsplndn1ts.jpg

Day 7

From Bassan (just north of Béziers) A75 over the Millau viaduct to Cleront Ferrand then A71 to Vallenay for a first overnight stop

photo F3BD6019-E480-4690-B0E9-81CF61A86DC2_zpskcaji7ww.jpg

Day 8

photo 521C4964-D3AC-49C5-9045-B470ADC385D6_zpsvc0el8iv.jpg

A71 to Oleans then same route back to Rouen for the second overnight stop.

Day 9

Same route as day 1 but in reverse.

photo DA378D1D-6FF2-4FCB-AC35-3A00150839C0_zpsnzcrt0fv.jpg

photo 97CD3291-04B9-4D60-9C66-CE4896CD183C_zpsp7820ef0.jpg

You obviously have a number of other issues to deal with, but I have found A7 engines very tolerant of bore wear. I have sucessfully got away with putting together several hack engines by simply honing, often quite badly worn bores then fitting new rings. Results have been suprisingly good and reasonably long lived.

Ian, James and Ian

Thanks for the information.

I was a surprised to see we still had standard pistons, i expected to see at least +40 fitted. Their is no lip at tops of bores,

Hi, I think I should try to clarify the situation. The Ruby engine smoked quite a lot (I Know, I was following) and was clearly pressurizing the crankcase also there was a significant amount of oil loss, we assume this was from the joint between the crankcase and block. However the situation is not as clear cut as it might have been, the engine filler is a home made device that does not fit so to get the car home we put a plastic bag over it and that prevented the crankcase from breathing to make matters worse the tappet chest cover has been made from a flat plate and has no holes in it so again no breathing. Once we got it home we removed the plugs, no 2,3,and 4 all looked ok with only no 1 looking oily and after cleaning the tank out we ran it again for a while without the plastic bag on the oil filler but with the unvented tappet chest cover, removing the plugs for a 2nd inspection showed that no 1 and 2 were now very oily so we decided to pull the head to investigate, the bore look very good but there was a lot of oil in the crown of no1.
So here are our questions.
1) Do Austin 7's chuff a lot from the crankcase filler?
2) Would blocking the tappet chest cover vent holes make a drastic difference to the crankcase pressure?
3) How much bore wear can a std set of rings compensate for?

There are lots more pics on the Photobucket if your interested

Perhaps all with 3 bearing cranks should carry some sort of heavy band tourniquet. I have had no involvement with the engines, but the support for the centre bearing appears dubious even by 1923 standards. Based on experience with other makes, if a crankcase is not really rigid crank problems always threaten, although crank shape and finish has huge influence.
The oil pockets are quite different from the 2 brg but appear no more ideal. The shells sport only one drilling and no trench. I have often wondered if this hole functions as an inlet or exit, possibly to vent entrapped air. I ran my car with no drilling and no ill effects although seldom exceeded 4,000 rpm. Relieved areas near parting line, as most shells, not clearly evident in photos.

Good going until it all went bang Leon!

What car does your friend have? I like the look of it a lot.

We came up to the West of Toulouse and I know many of the place you came through from other A7 trips.

Sorry to hear of the CC demise - a good A7 Engine will carry you happily on another similar route - maybe not quite at 70mph but near enough. In 1999 I drove the Ulster from Bilbao to Glasgow in 6 days following a Riley 9 Special, a lot of fun. Our foreheads were black and engrained with road dirt, oil and bugs - despite almost constant attempts neither of us were able to secure a female passenger at any stage on the journey!

Good luck with the new engine build and don't be put off by the 3 bearing engine, my own experience of these is that if they are correctly set up they are one of the best A7 engines. I have many, many broken cranks in the "bin" only two are three bearing all the rest are 2.

Ruairidh

Awkward car is a Standard Avon special (1931 I think) running a Model A with a Riley over head valve conversion, if this wrong I expect Awkward will correct me.

The CC engine is now in my cellar half built up with a new block, I have removed the seven engine this morning and i am hoping to get it fully build up ready for the end of September for The 750MC meeting at snetterton (spectating only)

photo 6E5B8357-4E5F-480B-B48B-95B56C454FAA_zpsprcddx6r.jpg

Good luck - that is a very neat engine and I really like the Standard Avon.

Leon
Ruairidh

Awkward car is a Standard Avon special (1931 I think) running a Model A with a Riley over head valve conversion, if this wrong I expect Awkward will correct me.

That looks like the car I saw in a local autojumble car park (The Kettle).
Looked very nice and with a Model A engine with a Riley head it'll go a lot better than originally.

Charles