Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Family Touring of Northern Spain and France in a Chummy and trailer - Summer 2016...

Your trip puts mine to shame, but I am reminded of buying a centre punch at a ferreteria (ironmonger) in Potez, so that I could re-secure a loose brake pivot pin on our simiar Chummy, about 20 years ago. I also recall the buttock-clenching experience of the cable car at Potez! We still have a coffee pot which Fenella liked from the 'ferret shop' as we called it!

Robert Leigh

Re: Family Touring of Northern Spain and France in a Chummy and trailer - Summer 2016...

Part 5 – France emerges from the mist!

After a good sleep in the Cabin we awoke to moist surroundings – rain had battered the area overnight but our spirits were lifted by glimpses of blue sky. The children were able to swim in the pool and we restocked food for the next few days, enjoyed a beer at the local bar and walked around the pretty surroundings of Aramits.

photo IMG_1542_zps6dxcacbc.jpg

photo IMG_0145_zpsdirxan6a.jpg

photo IMG_0154_zpsf1gocual.jpg

The noisy gearbox was bothering me slightly and when I dipped it for oil was slightly horrified to find it bone dry! My initial thoughts were that the heat had boiled it dry and on refilling however I was delighted to find that it returned to a nice quiet box with a smooth clutch pedal, no damage had (seemingly) been done. After a short run I noted that a small pool of clean oil had dropped beneath the car, this was unusual, as normally the car drops nothing. Cleanliness of the oil pointed to the gearbox so I checked the drain plug, which was tight, and noted that it appeared to be coming from the bell-housing. I made a mental note to keep an eye on the oil level.

After two nights the sky had cleared and we decided to continue north. Taking minor roads we skirted to the east of Pau on route for Mirande. We found it difficult to locate a good campsite in this area, our VW friends were about to head back home and we wanted our last two nights together to be in nice surroundings. After several failed attempts we came upon Camping Du Lac in Marciac – a Bastide Town- and were surprised to be greeted by an English owner. The site was lovely and the surroundings very pretty but we found it quite strange to be amongst Brits (many were camping alongside us as well) after several weeks away.

photo IMG_0163_zpsi8zd2mhv.jpg

photo IMG_1552_zpstwo6owih.jpg

photo IMG_1555_zpslgfq0bzn.jpg

The town was pretty and we celebrated a last night together on a boat restaurant with seafood and wonderful steaks, t’was great!

Our friends departed the next morning driving a solid 4 days to reach their Aberdeenshire home. Those interested in such things may like to know that Geoff’s van came from the desert in California and retains it’s ‘as found’ look without major rot. The highly modified engine produces enough power to cruise happily at 80mph and well beyond if necessary. He told me that it had been very nice to follow along behind us at 25mph as he could see so much more than usual! It was very sad to see them heading off and we felt quite alone for once. We were heading for Toulouse and on to a school friend’s house. It was a very hot journey and we had to navigate carefully to avoid ending up on busy roads as we neared the city.

photo IMG_1556_zpszwhum2mj.jpg

Kevin greated us with a very big smile, a cold Pelforth Brune and his extensive swimming pool – what a welcome! It was his birthday that day and we were treated to Côte de bœuf, washed down with St Joseph and several of his cask strength malts – this holiday malarkey was getting highly addictive!

photo IMG_0211_zpsnylue6sq.jpg

photo IMG_1561_zpslj3lqa3h.jpg

photo IMG_1562_zpsfnznlilg.jpg

photo IMG_1572_zpsb78hoztw.jpg

Kevin has a very fast "7" which I was taken out in - it was totally terrifying and I have no desire to ever repeat the experience!!

photo IMG_1566_zpsxweugmll.jpg

Part 6 – The Dordogne and beyond…

We had found travelling on Sundays to be a good thing, the roads are virtually empty and lorries are not permitted to travel unless carrying fuel supplies and the like. With no tent to pack we were able to depart early and make the most of the cool air so loved by the Zenith.

photo IMG_0247_zps5t4dcejx.jpg

I am actually speaking to Hugh Barnes, the new A7CA Sec. in this picture!

photo IMG_0238_zpsgynjscyv.jpg

Our goal for this drive was the town of Belves in the Dordogne – back in 1990 I had spent time with my parents in their Twelve and several other friends in Sevens. It was a hot day and as the journey was not too long we spent time exploring places. We drove north passing Fumel, Bonaguil, Villefranche with memories from a similar route in my father’s Chummy whilst on honeymoon 12 years previous. Soon we arrived a fantastic campsite just south of Belves and were able to spend 4 days exploring the super scenery and soaking up the wonderful heat we were experiencing. I had to fill the gearbox once more – none the wiser as to why it was emptying I resolved, “if it wasn’t causing problems, I wasn’t going to touch it”.

Monpazier

photo IMG_1587_zps2zk6olp8.jpg

My parents joined us for a few days, here is Ian with his youngest granddaughter...

photo IMG_1590_zpsfovqpcfh.jpg

Leaving Belves we made for the village of Excideuil north east of Perigeux where my Rosengart friend Maurice lives. After showing us his collection we had a super meal followed by his own Eau du Vie! It was good to see him again after many years and also very interesting to see and drive his cars.

Maurice and me the morning after!!

photo IMG_1612_zpslk9fcwa2.jpg

Some of his cars:

photo IMG_0418_zpsikhenpar.jpg

photo IMG_0419_zpsjpaohcxx.jpg

photo IMG_0420_zpsaz1wmdwu.jpg

photo IMG_0414_zpshex5zxuo.jpg

This is his latest completion, he and some friends made four of them all together, each painted differently.

photo IMG_0414_zpshex5zxuo.jpg

photo IMG_0428_zpsvxnogopl.jpg

photo IMG_1606_zpsfieyusep.jpg

From Perigeux we took a long route north to Richleau where we house-sat for Austin Seven friends who were holidaying in England for the week. It was nice to sit on a sofa again, do long overdue washing and, best of all, have use of a fridge!

photo IMG_0446_zpsim2kloxc.jpg

photo IMG_0447_zpswjhuvrft.jpg

photo IMG_0445_zpsmse4uskl.jpg

A late arrival at our friends' house:

photo IMG_1621_zpsekk2c32c.jpg

photo IMG_1657_zpsibgkrq81.jpg

photo IMG_0575_zpsfnjq7btg.jpg

Poppy heads ready for harvest!

photo IMG_1664_zpsr3dxcuv7.jpg

Poppy with her poppy head - one of my favourites of of her.

photo IMG_0631_zps0qrvx543.jpg

My rear view for 5 weeks.

photo IMG_1670_zpsnrdelrry.jpg

Ready to leave...

photo IMG_1676_zpsobntg4es.jpg

The week passed quickly and we soon found ourselves travelling (on a Sunday again) north towards Le Mans. Here we stayed a Camping Retro where you can rent 1960’s and 1970’s caravans to stay in. MG friends from nearby joined us bringing a lavish 5 course picnic for us all to enjoy – it was quite spectacular. We visited the nearby villages, which are very old and reminded me somewhat of Castle Combe.

photo IMG_1684_zps1vfufywy.jpg

photo IMG_1681_zpswrp2shuo.jpg

photo IMG_0690_zpspesfwme2.jpg

photo IMG_0652_zps7admv7lv.jpg

Soon the very last day of the journey through France was upon us – typically the weather was poor as we drove into Normandy and on towards the Coast. Near Caen the car lurched right and I suspected a puncture – true to form, in pouring rain, I was forced to swap to the spare. Cold wet and in bad humour I was in no mind to put up the tent for one last night so booked into a hotel right on the sea front. The rain subsided and we were able to explore Courselles sur Mer, the beach and the seafood restaurants. Daisy got her mussels and I got my plateau du fruits du mer – all in a very fitting and satisfactory end to our time in France.

Our last lunchtime picnic stop, side screens in for the first time since we left Santander!

photo IMG_0724_zpshsb71sth.jpg

Daisy and her Moules Frites - one very happy 5 year old!

photo IMG_0729_zpswzxyjjtb.jpg

Next day we caught the 14:00 from Ouistraham landing in Portsmouth around 7pm. by 9pm we have navigated back through the lanes to Midhurst enjoying wine and cheese we had brought to our friends.

As we sat in their house looking out on Chummy it was hard to take in the journey the car had just brought us on. Five weeks of travelling, over 1800 miles covered without one single mechanical failure, two punctures and one blocked carb. jet our only let downs. The engine used just under one pint of oil whilst the gearbox used three. We averaged 25 miles to the gallon and weighed in at just under ¾ of a ton fully loaded.

It is unlikely that we shall be able to undertake such a journey again in this car as the girls will be far too big. They endured 9-hour driving days throughout the trip in searing heat, mostly they sang and looked at the scenery bumbling by. We met many lovely people, ate lots of delicious food and have very happy memories of a summer well spent. I encourage any of you who like the sound of such a trip to do it, good planning, preparation and patience saw us well.

What a wonderful story, what a wonderful family, thanks for that write up!

Well done R, again!
We spent some weeks touring France this summer but with barely a sight of the sun. Our crime? Using a modern car, so beware, someone is taking note. But places like Monpazier that you photoed made it all worthwhile.
Where next Ruairidh?

What a trip. It will remain happy memories for all I'm sure but the girls especially. Well done and many thanks for the tale with pictures.

Austineering at it's best. Good show R

A truly inspiring account of a great adventure, we both approve of Kevin's choice of malt.

well done R,

fantastic right up and pics.

if the girls get too big you can always take 2 x 7s next time. 5 will go into 2 fine. spare room for a cooler as well.

is it just me or do the pictures of the rosengarts, make them look like toy pedal cars. perhaps its just there colours.

enjoyed reading this thread, and i dont do alot of reading

tony

Congratulations on a truly inspiring trip with your family and the Chummy. Your account of it here has been splendid and your photographs were superb as always. Thank you for sharing.

Bryan.

Sorry, brain fade! The cable car is at Fuente de.

amazed to find The Guardian has picked up on this momentous trip. Good on them.

Ha! Love it :)

Even Jenna Coleman prefers a Chummy to a Box Saloon it seems! Sensible girl.

Simon

Fantastic to read your France holiday in your Chummy with the family. Reminds us of our Tour de France effort when ten Aussie A7's packed in two shipping containers came over to join the 750 Club event. We were in my '29 sports for five weeks travelling in France, England, Wales and Scotland with all our gear stuffed in the tail - so hot (even for Oz standard).

How fantastic to hear from you Ronnie - I remember your visit well!

Photos of your trip would be very interesting to see.