Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Bacon slicer starter motor

New ring gears are available from A7 suppliers and can be fitted by machine shop.

Or re-bolt the clutch pressure plate 90 degrees around and place the undamaged teeth in the usual stopping place

Tony.

If only it was that simple with worn teeth on the later flywheel. Intersting to read that you can build up the teeth with weld. Just a month too late for my flywheel. An old article in impractical mechanic magazine (or some such publication) suggested drilling and tapping to insert bolts, then filing them to shape. Didn't fancy that much! I went for a flywheel with a new ring gear and an hour of lapping to remove the wobble.

Does anyone have experience of the longevity of the welded denture approach?

Regards
Nick

Nick

Does anyone have experience of the longevity of the welded denture approach?

Wouldn't have suggested it if I hadn't actually done it

I restored my '31 tourer in '79-80 and along with my '32 Special, it was my daily driver till 1987. So the welded tooth repair on its clutch cover ring gear lasted that long without any problems.

To check the tooth form as I was filing the "new" teeth to shape I made up a sort of comb device that had a number of teeth in negative, this was traced off a a good section of the ring gear and used to compare shape/height as I worked.