Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Legroom in a special

Here I sit, waiting for my flight home in two hours, but happy with life, as I've bought an A7 Ulster, so better start a new thread.

Me and the bride will be doing much research, but there'll doubtless still be questions and queries to pose to the wise. Apologies in advance!

Now the fun begins!

Bill

Re: Legroomin a special

I have fitted a 6'4" driver in my short chassis Cambridge.

I moved the seat back - easyish to do in a special, and raised the steering wheel.

It doesn't seem to be so much the distance back, as the ability to create room for the knees under the wheel, and, in the case of the Cambridge at least, leaving space for the fingers on top of the wheel whilst doing this.

Whether the whole thing would be comfortable after a couple of hundred miles I can't say.

But, yes, if I had a special, particularly a long chassis one, and the inclination, I could fit someone of that height in with a bit of room to spare.

Simon

Hi Bill,
I'm 6'2" and have both long and short wheelbase Ulster Specials and fit into them fine. Both do, however, have cockpits a couple of inches longer than standard.
Good luck with your search, I'm sure you will find something.
David.

My special, Mathilde, tried and tested at le Puy Notre Dame has a two position seat for average(30-32" inside leg) and 34 -36" leg. It is fairly comfortable to drive and is also for sale as I need space for my next project.

Thank you one and all for your helpful advice freely given. It would seem that a carefully chosen special will could serve very well. I must admit a liking for the lines of the Ulster and have my eye on a couple, but am fussy with correct period look, almost as much as drivability, so the search is on.

Duncan, I remember your car and hope you are able to return with your completed next project soon.

If anyone is attending the 21eme Grand Prix Retro in July next year, do get in touch, as we'd love to meet up for chat and refreshment.

Regards,

Bill

Oh, PS. Perhaps a silly question, but is there usually a spare wheel behind the seats in an Ulster?

Yes Bill,
The spare wheel is normally accessed from the rear hatch with storage space behind and in front of it. How much depends on where the battery and fuel tank is situated.
David.

Re: Legroom in a special