Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: austin 7 opal wont fire

There are a umber of things that can prevent your engine from firing up. Like previously suggested check for spark. I lay a plug on the head touching one of the non painted head studs then turn the engine over with ignition switched on and see if there is any spark. ( This is best done in the dark or subdued light as you can see it better also you can see any leakage on the plug leads and dizzy cap). The other thing to check is are you getting petrol to the engine. Turn the engine over on the starter a few times then take a plug out and it should be wet with petrol. Thirdly have you moved or taken out the dizzy so that the ignition timing is out.If you have you need to re time the engine. You should also check your plug leads to make sure you have got them in the correct firing order. If these things fail you will perhaps need to go further like checking valve clearances and doing a wet and dry compression test. Like all things start with the easy ones first.
Hope this may help

John Mason

Bernard,
Adding to Duncan and John's suggestions;
My first question would be - was it running before you did the fuel pump etc and have you had anything else in bits? And what prompted the work you've done?

If it was running recently and you've only fiddled with the fuel system the fault should be in there. In addition to the other advice; fill the float chamber with fresh petrol each time you attempt to start it. If you've got a dirty tank install a filter before the fuel pump, just a cheap plastic one will do. You can remove it once you've run a few tank fulls of petrol through. Try loosening the pipe on the carb and cranking over the engine to see that fuel is getting pumped through.

If you've fuel in a clean carb with sparks in the right place and timing, as long as there's some engine compression - it should fire or encouragingly try to do something. Make sure the choke is actually choking. If you still can't get it away you may have to try a towed start to get oil flung up the bores and a stronger ignition voltage.

If the engine hasn't recently run try checking the compression with your thumb over the spark plug holes, you should get a nice pop and your thumb pushed off.

I hope you get it away and then the tank cleaned up.

Dave

Just another thought after reading Daves suggestions. Petrol I know there has been a lot of discussion on the forum about this but make sure you have new petrol. Moden petrol has methanol added and this evaporates off within about 4 to 6 weeks.Your engine will fire easier with the methanol still within it.

John Mason