Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
ARQ Ruby Rear Bumper supports

Hi, I apologise for raising this subject as it appears to have been aired many times in years gone by. However being new to this site and following the trail of previous most helpful posts unfortunately a number of the original photo's are now unavailable.
I have a July 36 Ruby saloon that was a serious basket case and had at some point in its history been ablaze! So no internal woodwork, upholstery, wiring, door panels etc were present and most parts were in boxes and crates or loose in the body.
The restoration started some 30 years ago but ground to a halt due to a number of reasons but having started again in March this year we are now around 80% complete.
Looking at the rear bumpers and the supports I had it was evident that the two "Y" shaped brackets that pass thro the bodywork at the rear end needed some additional ironwork to connect them to the chassis.
Following the previous posts, I realised that I was missing the chassis extensions and clamps that can be clearly seen in a photo on Geoff Halstead's post on Sep 12, 2015 when he removed the body of his Ruby from the chassis. Seeing this I was able to locate two extension pieces at an A7 rally from one of the many stalls. I fortunately found one of the cast iron brackets which clamp the extensions to the chassis in amongst my many boxes but cannot find a second.
At this point I thought I had solved the mystery of how the "Y" brackets were attached...........alas no.
When I came to offer the parts together none of the bolt holes in the extension pieces or the "Y" sections matched. Looking at the extension pieces I picked up these are badly pitted but local to the two bolt holes at the rear end there has clearly been a additional part bolted tight to the extension piece as there is not pitting and the shape of the part is clearly seen altho' this shape does not match the "y" brackets.
So I fear I am still missing some part or parts.
I have been looking to see if I could add some photo's of the parts I have but at present cannot seem to make this happen.
So if anyone out there can shed some light on this subject I would be most grateful, any help would be much appreciated.
Best regards
Denis Sweeney

Re: ARQ Ruby Rear Bumper supports

Dennis,

I am in the process of restoring a late 4 Seat Tourer, I understand that these did not have bumpers originally but the owner wants them fitted.

I can photograph the whole set up in a week or two if you can wait that long. In the meantime here are some images from google of what I understand should be there:

photo 29072010557.jpg

Ruairidh, I have responded by email as I still cannot attach photos.

Cheers Denis S

Hi Denis,

for completion of this thread and the benefit of others I hope that you don't mind me copying your email and photo here (hopefully someone will have the correct parts you require also!).

I can now see why I'm having problems fitting the parts I have together, quite simple really, the parts I have are not compatible!

The picture below shows the "y" bracket that I have which passes through the rear bodywork and to which the rear bumper is attached, this came with the car but was in amongst the variety of boxes that came with the car but were not attached, but I have always assumed that this was part of the original car.

The extension piece is one of a pair I purchased at an A7 rally.

photo blob.jpg_zpstumvcf1u.png

As you can see the "y" brackets I have are much longer than those shown in your photos and none of the drilling in either component match up. So to me, this means that one or the other of these parts is incorrect for my car.

Having seen your photos it would not be difficult to trim the "y" brackets and drill new holes and the system would then work, but this would be a shame to wreck perfectly good pieces if there are correct parts that are available to use.

I must point out that I am not into 100% accuracy here, my car was a complete wreck so have had to compromise a great deal already I just want to get her back on the road!

So if you can offer any advice on which part is correct, it would be most welcome.

One other point I have searched through my many boxes but have only managed to find one of the original clamps for the chassis extensions, do you know of anyone who may have a spare one they do not need?

Once again many thanks for your most helpful reply.

Best wishes Denis S