Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Differences between a 1928 and 1929 chassis frame.

a7fan
I always thought this applied to vehicles that were bodied outside the works and then returned to be sold by Austin as their own, e.g. vans/commercials.

That is an interesting thought. The Austin Motor Co did include Sevens bodied by Gordon England and Mulliner in their main catalogues, complete with specifications and prices. Did they actually sell some coachbuilt Sevens from Longbridge, in which case the plate would make more sense as the chassis was being returned with a body fitted.

Just looked at an Austin Catalogue for 1928 (600D) and prices given for the Gordon England Cup and Wembley Saloon are quoted 'at London' earlier catalogues refer to London Depot. The Mulliner Fabric Saloon is quoted 'at Works'

There is a note under the cars that Messrs Gordon England and Mulliner take all responsibility for coachwork.

a7fan
As the plate also has provision for stamping with the horsepower, this must have applied to any chassis from the Austin range that was sent from the works to be bodied outside.
It would be interesting to know if anyone has one of the larger Austin models with such a plate, and what body is fitted. I always thought this applied to vehicles that were bodied outside the works and then returned to be sold by Austin as their own, e.g. vans/commercials.

I spent some time this afternoon crawling under a 1928 12hp Mulliner saloon that is for sale locally.
The same plate is in a similar position as the 7hp coachbuilts, on the nearside of the rearmost crossmember facing forwards.

Re David's "Property of" question, it's my guess that it must have been the accepted wording for patenting or design registration. I have a very old oil bottle where the "Shell" moulding in the glass is a design quite different to the motif we're all used to. It's also moulded "Property of Shell Co. Ltd". With the hundreds, probably thousands, of bottles produced & sold, I doubt the company would be demanding their property back? In the case of Austin 7 chassis, our Herbert must have been filled with trepidation putting his name to some of the chassis that came out of Gordon England - as evidenced in Ruairidh's Cup Folio, some weird & wonderful modifications were done to the original design. A reminder that my lengthy bit above only referred to original A7 chassis. Cheers, Bill