Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Engine number

john wyett
M 238160, same as the crankcase.
John

Hello John. Is yours one of the interim engines with a 2 bearing crankshaft in a 3 bearing crankcase? There might be an undrilled circular boss located just above the fuel pump which later used (from memory) to locate the cam shaft on the 3 bearing engine.
Regards
Stuart

Stuart Joseph
john wyett
M 238160, same as the crankcase.
John

Hello John. Is yours one of the interim engines with a 2 bearing crankshaft in a 3 bearing crankcase? There might be an undrilled circular boss located just above the fuel pump which later used (from memory) to locate the cam shaft on the 3 bearing engine.
Regards
Stuart

Interesting! Did they carve out the centre main housing, or was it never cast?

Just to clear up any confusion - when I said "the most common place to find the number" referred to the over 230 thousand blocks first produced, sorry I forgot about the 50-plus thousand blocks produced later. Cheers, Bill

Stuart Joseph
There might be an undrilled circular boss located just above the fuel pump

We have at least one crankcase with the un drilled cam bolt boss as you describe Stuart - I will try to locate it. I wonder if it also has the external strengthening webs also?

Stuart: there is no trace of an un-drilled circular boss above the fuel pump hole.

Bill: there is no trace of an engine number anywhere else on the block as far as I can see and nothing stamped on the crank or rods.

Thanks for all replies though
John

John - it's good that you found your number, but more important you have the crankcase number. Even having the number stamped on so many other blocks & hidden behind the valve-chest cover isn't much help to anyone, only academic. I've come across a couple of blocks over the years that had no number anywhere, so presumed they were replacements. No matter, as no authority is going to remove the cover to check if there's a number there, they just go by the crankcase number. Good Luck, Cheers, Bill