Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Radiator cap

Having topped up the water and oil I had to go for a spin. After about 6 miles there was a light clunk followed by a water-spray on the windscreen.
AArggh, the rad cap had loosened and flown off! Idiot!
I stopped and walked back along the A61 and found nothing. I turned round and drove back in the vain hope...
Does anyone have a spare they would like to part with in exchange for beer vouchers?
1 1/2" screwed type in chromed brass would be nice, I know Bakelite ones are available but...
There's a Classic Car show in Ripon on Sunday and usually an autojumble but not particularly good.

Re: Radiator cap

Sorry to hear of your loss - the same thing happened to me some years ago. I can send you a chrome-plated brass 1½" one if you don't have any luck at Ripon - approx 10-12 beer vouchers (depending on the local exchange rate) should do it. See BA180c here.

David

Joy unconfined! I went to the workshop to fit the temporary replacement cap I made yesterday and saw something trapped between the wing and bonnet side!

I can almost feel the stress subside from here.
Steve V

Splendid news, Duncan It is your reward for making those rather nice wings.
Regards,
Stuart.

Whilst running the engine on my 65 for the first time this week I fitted the new rad' cap to find the 4 projecting locking pins (in the top of the rebuilt radiator) that secure the cap have been fitted about 10 degrees from the centre-line. So the cap won't sit square to the car.

Somewhat irritating, especially when you know how long it took to get it built.

No obvious easy fix I can see......

stuart ulph
Splendid news, Duncan It is your reward for making those rather nice wings.
Regards,
Stuart.

Thanks for your kind words, I'll have to go and polish my "Smug Git" badge!

Looking at the underside shown in a pic on eBay, is it not possible to adjust the final sitting position in the cap?

That's what I was hoping Duncan. Looks like the 4 'rivets' you can see in the pic you mention control the rotational placement, the centre screw only controls the security of the cap.

If it doesn't work, Nick, if you just make sure you park 10 degrees from the central axis in the appropriate direction, the rad cap will sit nice and straight with the rest of the cars.

Nick, there are some (old?)repro ones held in place with a stainless steel cross which can be rotated around the central screw.

An easy solution if you can find one!

David

We'll be looking at Beaulieu.....

Methinks rotating the rad neck is the only real solution.

Nick, you're no doubt right. I just didn't want to go back to the guy that 'rebuilt' it and took for ever and then a bit longer.

Nicholas Boorman
We'll be looking at Beaulieu.....

Hello Nicholas, Come and see me at Beaulieu, (I'm adjacent to the Seven Workshop), I have an odd 'winged' rad cap which you might be able to modify.
Regards
Stuart