Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Clutch noise when releasing the clutch

Bryan Norfolk
Are sure that the toggle levers, when rotating, are not fouling the taper pins that secure the clutch operating lever to the shaft? If these touch, it causes a screeching noise. It took me a long time to diagnose this fault on my car.
Bryan

The noise you describe is the same as my clutch noise. Did yours only do it when the engine was warm as mine only shows its self when warm. Also what alterations or adjustments did you do to cure things.
Thanks for the advice

John Mason

John,
From memory the noise was not there all of the time and therefore difficult to diagnose.
The solution was to leave the taper pins installed, but shorten their length by grinding some off.
Bryan

I think if the toggle arms are catching the taper pins the noise will be there all the time but will go if you press the clutch pedal just a little bit. It happened to Steve and myself on the Herefordshire Trial (Steve was driving!) and we left a section with the clutch making a dreadful noise. We used a bungy strap under the bonnet to pull on the clutch pedal so as to take up the free movement and the noise subsided. We finished the trial the next day.

Unsurprisingly, I agree with Malcolm. Toggle arm pins catching sounds more like a machine gun rattle than a screech. As Malc says, we've been there, done that. We thought we were dead in the water but we're resourceful Yorkshire bodgers so a bungy strap sorted it

I'd be more suspicious of the release bearing.

Steve

It's almost certainly a stiff release bearing. The toggles are rotating on the bearing rather than the bearing rotating with the toggles, if you see what I mean. I've had it on the Ulster. It might go away with use and lubrication, but if it doesn't, I'm afraid the gearbox will have to come off.

Alan
It's almost certainly a stiff release bearing. The toggles are rotating on the bearing rather than the bearing rotating with the toggles, if you see what I mean. I've had it on the Ulster. It might go away with use and lubrication, but if it doesn't, I'm afraid the gearbox will have to come off.

Alan, My first thoughts were the release bearing as it definitely sounds like a worn release bearing. I fitted the new one thinking it would solve the problem but on reassembly to my disappointment it was still there. Can I just add that on spinning the new on prior to fitting it was as quiet as a mouse. Do you think that it maybe a case of the three clutch operating arm as slightly out of line.
What really baffles me is that it only occurs once the engine iis warm.
Thank you for the input because like I originally stated it has me stumped.

John Mason.

John Mason
Can anyone help with this problem as it's just about beat me. I have a Mk1 1935 Ruby with a clutch that operates well and silently when started from cold allowing me to select any gear I want. Once the engine has warmed up a little I can still easily get all the gears without a problem except for the fact that there is a metal to metal screeching sound coming from the clutch as it is let out. I get no sound on depressing the clutch. I have renewed the clutch release bearing (bought from Seven Workshop) and put plenty off oil down the lubticating pipe and also made sure the hole at the bottom of the pipe where it meets the release earring carrier but still get the sound. Can I add that once the clutch has been let out fully the noise goes.
Any suggestion as the the problem will be greatfully received however it will be a few weeks before I am back in the garage due to cataract operations.

John Mason

Thanks all who have contributed ideas as to what the noise may be. Today I went for a spin in the car and I think I maybe barking up the wrong tree. Yes the noise is still there but could it be coming from worn synchromesh cones in the gearbox as they slide against the mechconism in the gear box. Would you get a metal to metal screech from the synchromesh cones ?

John Mason

I doubt it unless there's no oil in the gearbox...

There is oil in the gearbox but I will check the level. I have have always been afraid of over filling because of the risks of leaking when over filled and clutch slip. Perhaps I have not put enough oil in.

John Mason