Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Lead replacement

I can understand wanting to use premium fuels to avoid ethanol, but what about the possible damage caused by the higher octane?

I believe the higher octane means the fuel 'burns' slower and can still be 'burning' on the exhaust stroke, resulting in raised exhaust valve temperature.

I have heard of folk running on premium petrol reducing the octane rating by adding other compounds - paraffin for example.

There are two kinds of unleaded available with or without Ethanol.

They are marketed as Unleaded 95, Unleaded 98; E10 95 and E10 98. The basic 95 unleaded is fine in an Austin. Most motorway outlets generally now only supply E10 fuel. The normal stuff is usually still available at supermarkets.

On the subject of draining down, I have never had any problems with ageing of unleaded fuel. My car usually has a full tank all year round as it gets used on fine winter days and starts no problem.

I doubt if short term use of E10 would have any effect on an Austin but some later cars prior to 2000 (such as my 1997 MGF) cannot tolerate E10 because it rots the seals in the fuel management system.

Adding paraffin is probably not recommended as it can increase bore/ring wear and will find its way into the sump ultimately diluting the oil...

Have to agree ,I don't believe in fuel going off,maybe in years but not months, my petrol lawnmower would be finished by now and restarted in the spring no problem,equally had a motorbike before the 7 ,wouldn't use it through the winter,would start on the button months later no problem,also a generator for work might not need it for months but when I did ,again no problem .

My experience has been that ethanol fuel has rotted supposedly E-proof fuel line. My Pembleton Brooklands was left with fuel in the tank and lines for 12 months and the water has been absorbed by the plastic floats and every union pees petrol. I have to replace the flexible line and fit new floats to replace the "sinks" which settled at the bottom of a can of fuel when I tested them They have absorbed water taking them from 10g to 13g.

A pal with an Alvis had his brass mesh screen on the fuel pick-up tube dissolve over one winter, filling his fuel line with green crud.
I avoid fuel with Ethanol to be on the safe side.

I think the question is what fuel that is available today that best suits what the A7 was supposed to have for fuel originally.

Every countries fuel is different according to local requirements so one has to be careful for sure.

If you are not using the car for any length of time over two months add fuel stabilizer to the fuel to prevent the problems associated withthe current fuel they sell us.