Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Bucket seat variations

Whilst researching seat frames it has become apparent that a number of different types that have been made over the years. It would be interesting and helpful to the restorer if we could identify as many variants of both bucket and squab as possible. I would also like to identify when each type was introduced and in which model's they were fitted.

Re: Bucket seat variations

Ian have you looked in the archive at the index card for seats BZ8. It notes a new bucket seat for the mk2 ruby and all its variants, no mention of sports models. The card appears to show the introduction of a bench option for the opal 2 seater . The spare parts book 1521 shows the bucket seat and slides in line drawing.
More info is probably elsewhere in this amazing archive but I haven't got a week to spare looking with my antique steam powered and windup computer. cheers Russell

The two left hand drive Opals I know of (one in France, the other imported from US a few years ago)both have bench seats, so that confirms that the option was used.
The change from MkI to MkII Ruby is obvious, because the mounting arrangements are very different. On earlier cars I don't know whether changes of upholstery ocurred on the same frames, or were concurrent with frame changes, but the obvious differences relate to squabs with plain upholstery, then pleated, but the number of pleats also changed, Backrests were all pleated as far as I know, but again the number of pleats varied over the years. Another ste of variations was introduced with 'de luxe' specifications using leather rather than Rexine, so these ranges of seats appeared with the same frame but different finishes.

Robert

What I am trying to determine is all the variations in frame and base construction, to illustrate the point I have uploaded a several photos all of 30's era seats.
The first is the lower portion of my Nippy seat frames
 photo DSC06116_zpskaaxiusc.jpg
The next show the seats from my 1931 RM photo DSC06117_zpsijqwyatw.jpg
We then have two further seat frames where I can not confirm their origin, note the differences in runner and shape of the lower portion, the further seat is very similar to the Nippy one but not identical. photo DSC06118_zpszonphv8a.jpg
And finally the type seat base commonly found in Rubys and Box saloons, I know that wooden squab bases also exist but I do not currently have one I can photograph.
 photo DSC06119_zpsdv3rpw35.jpg

Now I know that there are further variations but these are all I currently have to hand and which I could photograph. It would be good to get pictures of as many other variants, and information on the cars that they have come from, I know that in some cases seats will have been replaced over the years, but with enough responses we should start to get a clearer picture emerge.

I would say the right hand seat frame in the third picture down is an early (pre 1930) Chummy drivers seat - before the seat was hinged although it is missing the support frame at the back.

Tony.

As someone recently noted- no letters/numbers to type ?

Ian,

An earlier chummy seat frame exists where the squab sits on top of the base rather than within it.

I have also seen examples with aluminium backs.

Big Seven frames have a longer squab than Ruby types.

Thanks guys, any chance of some pictures showing the variations you have seen and what years/models they are or were in?

Ruairidh Dunford
An earlier chummy seat frame exists where the squab sits on top of the base rather than within it.

Ian, no close ups but this shows some of the variance. No idea of year or if it is original to this chassis, which is 1924.

photo P6120032_zpsklzfdev1.jpg

photo P6120029_zpsxigc0sca.jpg

Ruairidh Dunford
Big Seven frames have a longer squab than Ruby types.

Ian,

these are the only ones I have form a Big Seven, however the squab looks to be identical in this photo to a Ruby type - something in the back of my mind tells me that they are longer, anyone know for sure (maybe the 4 door version??)?

photo Photo 3_zpstxnsq0nl.jpg

A Big Seven rear for reference:

photo Photo 4_zpsusvvaaqc.jpg

Surely the seats Ian shows in his second illustration (from his 1931 RM) are Ruby seats? The RM seat had wider upholstery pleats on the squab (with plain cushions), and did not have the sliding adjustment shown.

These are what I believe to be RM Mike, very similar to the early RNs, so I understand.

photo IMGP0079.jpg

For interest, the door cards on the same car:

photo IMGP0072.jpg

Tony - I doubt the third photo is what you suggest. Pre-1930 seats had three ribs (swages) running across the seat-back, not the mainly vertical ones shown. And early Chummy seats didn't originally have the supporting strut. As perhaps a matter of interest, some publications said that the Chummy seats were both hinged in 1925 - not so. Prior to then, both seat frames moved on slides, then in May only the passenger's seat was hinged, but not the driver's. The two seats were not hinged until May 1930. Cheers, Bill

Bill,

All my bucket seats still have upholstery cover on the back so I will agree with you.

The 28 and 29 seats look to have the supporting strut.

Tony.

Mike I believe you are correct and the front seats that were in my RM are not correct, I also thought they were Ruby, but I have seen the same design in later Box Saloons. It is apparent that quite a number of cars have had substitutions made over the years, and that there are a number of variations on the bucket and squab design. So my question remains, can we on this forum establish what all of these variations are? Some of you may not care which is fair enough, but to others like myself ( call me a rivet counter if you like ) this is fascinating and useful information when restoring our cars.

I can also corroborate what Bill is saying as I have a 27 AD Chummy body with sliders on the drivers side.

Ian,

For your 'library' Tim Williams from South Australia has asked me to post photos of his 1928 Chummy seats before recovering.

He still has the original covering (Australian )and sprung seat pad.

photo 2371657e-86ad-4caf-bc93-a7e659b8f2cd.jpg

photo Chummy Seat 5.jpg

photo Chummy Seat 3.jpg

photo Chummy Seat 2.jpg

photo Chummy Seat 1.jpg

Tony.

Second picture shows MkII Ruby. Third picture shows RN type on right, MkI Ruby on left. I know little about Nippys, but the picture shows a type I have not seen previously so very likely it is correct for the car. Generally when upholstery got scruffy back in the fifties and sixties, better were available cheaply from scrapyards, and if the design was slightly different it was of no concern.

Ian,

from a 1933 65.

photo A699E94F-E3CD-48E9-9ECB-C618E31A1A77_zpstk9oruco.jpg

photo 3445E59E-CCAD-49F7-929C-675056E4CF00_zps8pxzxcvm.jpg

ah - interesting. The standard Nippy/65 fare is a protector plate (a Chris Gould reproduction below on a Nippy) and then leather bag with inflator cushion. What is the liklihood that these Ruby style bases could have been options rather than easy 1950s replacements? I'm thinking that it might have been with the later Nippy, but unlikely with the 65?

Ian,

AG Tourer as spotted on eBay.

Quite different to preceding and following models.

photo AG seats_zpscwh9rrpu.jpg

Here is a seat base currently on ebay that is exactly the same as the ones I've just removed from an unoriginal Nippy seat.

Dimensions from bottom; 17" front to back, width 13.25" at front, 14.75" at back... and listed as being from a Box saloon.

Questions:
Is it possible that these could have been fitted at the very beginning of 65 build as the inflatable seats came in?

What are the earliest cars that inflatable bladders are fitted to?

What overlays the wood, between that and the cover?

In the later steel bucket (which follows a similar line to these), does the padding change?