Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: What is the right speedo for a 4 speed box?

Either of the speedos for the four speed box will work, but they are smaller diameter (about 3"). There are small differences in the gearing to suit wheel/tyre size and back axle ratio. I use a MkII Ruby type (needle indicator) in my Ulsteroid, with a 5.25 back axle and 15" wheels with fat tyres. It's not too far out in relation to satnav. The earlier speedo has a moving disc showing through a window in the dial, and was fitted from late RN types to the end of the MkI Ruby.

Robert

But they won't look anything like as nice on the dash of the Ulsteroid. The little reversing gearbox previously described looks like a good idea. It's a shame no one has started to make and market them. I'm guessing this has been a problem for a good number of years. Anyone know where to get the little gears?

Robbie,Nick,
Google frizinghall meccano. They do gears both brass and nylon by mail order. I made gearboxes for my pretend Ulster tacho and speedo using these gears. Been working faultlessly for 23 years. The boxes are simple to make : just aluminium 3mm sheet with pressed in brass bushes and bolted together with spacers and bolts as clock mechanisms. The boxes are screwed to the speedo casings.
Dave.

Hi Dave

Any chance you have any photos of your box?? A picture saves hours of doing it wrong lol

Thanks
R

Nick
But they won't look anything like as nice on the dash of the Ulsteroid. The little reversing gearbox previously described looks like a good idea. It's a shame no one has started to make and market them. I'm guessing this has been a problem for a good number of years. Anyone know where to get the little gears?

Totally agree Nick, I'm now looking at the gears Dave mentioned... Look good!

Anyone know what the thread that the speedo cable outer screws onto is?

Robbie,
the thread is 3/4" x 26t.p.i. brass. You should be able to pick up a die a die at Beaulieu.

Best wishes,
Robert.

photo 178_zpswuik2yir.jpg photo 181_zpsczh8fj7k.jpg photo 180_zps7mhsbdsi.jpg
Robbie,
Top photo is tacho drive,bottom one is speedo drive. Speedo and tacho are Ford 10 circa 1950 or so. A Smiths one like yours could be modified similarly.The Ford ones were very cheap to buy from a scrap yard in 1970.Tacho drive is taken from the underside of the distributor using a Ford 10 speedo cable.
The speedo input gear is mounted on the remains of a 1936 A7 speedo so that an A7 cable end screws directly onto it. The 4 speed box has the housing for the speedo drive rotated so that it comes out a few degrees off vertical.
Dave.