Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Nippy engine?

Steve Jones
I suspect someone's bought themselves an expensive crankcase. But, if it's what you need and you've got the money..............!

Given the price, it seems at least two people did

Steve

The question is really: Is a Nippy with a Nippy crankcase worth £2k more than one without. I guess probably it is.

C

Does beg the question of what the feel of the larger dia crankshaft is in comparison to the standard? Is there likely to be any discerneable difference? I heard someone talking about adapting the 'flat side' crankcase to fit the 1 1/2" crank. Is there any point?

Presumably if the going rate for a Nippy crankcase is now £1200 and upwards, it won't be that long before someone starts remanufacturing them.

Chris Garner writes:

R,

Further to the postings about the Nippy engine on the Forum, would you please post the enclosed being the engine from my Type 65 as a comparison to the Bonham's photo. Correct, crank, rods, camshaft and head etc., but the block is not a Chromidium one.

photo Type 65 180610_zpswotoueds.jpg

An as a further comparison here is my 1936 pressurized Nippy engine, rubber mounted sand casting, I think the splash fed engines may have been die castings by this stage. That would make me believe the Bonhams engine was at least correct in this respect.
 photo A 015_zpsu403lcf8.jpg

"is that £5.00? I hope you bought it..."

The ticket price was £500 which might have been a starting point for negotiation if the rear block to crankcase mounting flange had not been brazed back on.

Hi Dave g,

Good to see you got back home ok, not to much traffic I hope.

You beat me to the punch line on this one, with the repaired mounting hole and price.

I'll take a punt that the £500 pound asking price was copied from the one sold on our web site. www.7ca.co.uk

Although the one I sold was in excellent condition. NOT repaired like this one.

Good to see people useing the web site, if only to copy our prices.

A strange beaulieu this year I must say?

Tony.