Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Diesel in. seven

Thank you for all for your replies. I am sure now that it will not cause any long term damage to my car. I am now however going to be unable to drive for between 12 to 16 weeks and I am wondering if the diesel/petrol mix in the tank will separate out in this time. If it does in which way will it divide petrol or diesel on top and could this make starting more difficult.

John Mason.

John Mason
I am now however going to be unable to drive for between 12 to 16 weeks and I am wondering if the diesel/petrol mix in the tank will separate out in this time. If it does in which way will it divide petrol or diesel on top and could this make starting more difficult.

Just fill the float chamber with fresh petrol and I'm sure it will be fine.

David

Years ago a senior staff member at work (Harry Chatteriss, at one time part owner of the Rubber Duck) told me he ran a Seven during WW2 on kerosene. Said the preheating was a bit too effective on one occasion and cooked the pump diaphragm. (Harry worked in the Air Force rebuilding US aircraft engines from the Pacific).

My father as a plumber added white spirit to augment the ration (I think 1 or 2 gallons a month. This and petrol from friends enabled 120 mile radius for honeymoon.)

(By a curious coincidence years earlier I lived a few doors from the garage where Lester Reeder worked on the Duck and his special)

Pat Whitowrth, my house master at school ran his A7 on paraffin while a student at Cambridge.
He told me that the best way to do this was to take the feed pipe from the pump a turn round the exhaust downpipe then into the carburetor. Pre-heat is then after the pump avoiding cooking the diaphram.
He used a three way tap to switch off the fuel before stopping the engine to empty the carburetor and switch on the petrol for starting then turn over to paraffin once warm.

On this topic, 750 Motor Club members may find a bit of 'Rumblings' of interest in the next edition of The Bulletin.

For those of us who are not would you enlighten us please Nick.

So you are not alone in this error and I too hold up my hands. Owning two modern diesels and too many old petrol cars, one with centre throttle, some with 3 some with 4 speed boxes, ordinary H pattern and reverse H, moving from one to the other is really helpful in causing confusion.
Anyway to your point, I have I confess managed diesel in petrol and the other way as well. Diesel in petrol, up to half a 12 gallon tank was no problem, the other way about can be since petrol is not good for the seals in injection pumps. I would not worry at all, the previous suggestions are good, however I would not wait until I needed to refil, but top up with petrol more frequently to dilute the remains diesel.
Good luck with the eye op.

Hi Ian

I'll be very happy to do so after the edition is published. Nothing earth-shattering, but a salutory lesson nonetheless.

I said I would post more info after the publication of the latest edition of the 750MC Bulletin.

This is an extract, which will give you the relevant info on what to to watch out for. It is an account by a member of a local car club.

“On my way to the drive out day on Sunday I stopped at the BP garage to refuel. I pulled up at the first pump island and saw there were two pumps. The left pump said Regular unleaded, the right pump said Ultimate, both had green hoses. I always put the expensive fuel in the TR as I think it has a higher octane number and a reduced ethanol percentage.

I glanced to my right and the next pump island had two hoses which were black. Reassured I then topped up with Ultimate from a green hose.

On arrival at The Three Moorhens (about a mile) the engine would not tick over but otherwise ran OK. However when I restarted for the route the engine ran very roughly with CLOUDS of blue smoke. Realising what the problem might be I checked the refuelling receipt and saw what I had done.

What a Dumbo!!

Needless to say it was a stressful day and I was not flavour of the month with the Memsahib!

Three and a half hours later Fuel Assist arrived and did an excellent job of sucking all the contaminated fuel out of the TR and it started on the first turn of the key.

I have e-mailed BP to ask them to label their pumps more clearly but surprise, surprise, no response so far. A check on my local Shell garage shows all pumps having black hoses so the fuel companies seem to have different rules. If this prevents any club member from making the same mistake then it will have served its purpose.

My final comment is you MUST check what the fuel is from looking at what it says on the pump nozzle.”

Thank you all for your help and advice. I am currently out of action for doing anything on my seven as my catract operation has gone not to plan and I have difficulty in seeing anything clearly. When things get better I hope to make an attachment that will make the petrol filler neck smaller diameter to prevent the deisel filler going in. Such as modern petrol engine cars have.

John Mason