Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Springs

There is a comprehensive guide to road springs in the 750 Companion, although there's a well-known error in one of the camber figures (sorry, can't remember which one off the top of my head).

David

Hedd (and David). The misprint in Companion was where I intended 3" set for the rear springs, they printed 8". Perhaps they thought your Chummy would feel like it was going downhill all the time? Good Luck, Cheers, Bill

I believe there is a greater range of variance in the spring leaf quantity and thickness than recorded, I have discovered varying combinations of 3/16", 1/4", 9/32" and 5/16" thick leaves. I suspect as Hedd has made note of above, that the spring rates were adjusted to suit different body styles and the published information is only a rudimentary guide. Inappropriate swaps at some point may explain why some Saloons drive like a drunken ship in a storm and others are really quite stable and pleasant.

What is the difference between offside and nearside rear springs?
Is it the set or is there a difference in leaf thickness?
Also, what is the difference between saloon and touring rear springs?
I suspect that vans were different again.
This is from parts list 1029B at the A7CA archive.

Have recently put new rear springs on my 1937 Opal. Had quite a learning curve as the standard Ruby springs which were recommended, (camber 3.5 inches ) set the car up far too high.
The answer was to fit Nippy springs, (only five leafs and camber 2.5 ins) car looks great and handles well ie not too much oversteer on roundabouts!
Hope this might be helpful to some.

Charles

Hedd - sorry, but just realised you may not have a Companion, which means we didn't answer your question. In 1929, from chassis 90030, the front springs were changed from 5 leaves to 8. But with your RP I think your rears should rightly be 7 leaves. If the 750 Club had done what I requested at the time (allow me to check the details before printing), the incorrect cambers would not have come out like they did in the Companion. The figures I obtained were on Colonial Sevens, and may even have been different to Home-built cars. As Henry has pointed out, a puzzling variety of springs appeared in the Thirties - firstly different rears on tourers to saloons, then different from right to left as well. It was some years after the Companion article before I first noticed this and no-one could answer the question. My only guess was rears were set slightly differently to suit the appropriate camber of the road in different Countries. And as mentioned before, the Colonial Rubys (not New Zealand) had a 1" alumminium spacer under the front springs, presumably for greater ground clearance. All very confusing. Cheers, Bill

Charles Levien
The answer was to fit Nippy springs, (only five leafs and camber 2.5 ins) car looks great and handles well ie not too much oversteer on roundabouts!
Hope this might be helpful to some.

It was very helpful to me Charles - this is an Opal that I fitted sports springs to just last week on the back of your experience, sits perfectly, many thanks!

photo IMG_1753_zpsrfchqwja.jpg

I have had a very useful chat with Mr Dunford Sr re Springs.

It appears the as new 6 leaf rears would be perfect for either my RL or my Chummy. They have 1/2 less set an a leaf less than the ones he has just supplied to my for the RP.

I now know thay the front springs with fewer leaves are pre 1928. The ones with more later.

The pair of flatish 7 leaf rears i have in stock are either buggered or Ruby or perhaps stiff sports.

It would appear once I have fitted the new rears to the RP and had its present ones tempered I will have spares for all present likely permutations of cars here long term.

Many thanks all. Particularly Mr Dunford Sr