Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Some advice please from those who know things !

I thought the flitch plates were the body piece which goes from the bulkhead forward to the radiator. There should be shaped plates between these and the chassis on both sides (only fixed to the flitch plates, by three 1/8" bsf set screws and nuts). The exhaust side plate has a cutout shaped for the exhaust to pass through. Deflector plates beside the radiator were only fitted on cowled type, Ruby style, radiators.

I endorse Robert's comments above!

I agree. However my RP differs from my RL and the RN body I had. The RL and RN had essentially identical but handed plates. Basically a dished channel in section. Both of course equiped with a dangly 22FZ Zenith carb as new. The RP has the same plate on the offside. But the plate on the nearside under the sidedraft carb is much different. And quite complex in terms of shape and pressed drip channels in it. I should be at the shed where mine is presently tommorrow after work. I will take a picture of it if I can lay my hands on it. I think its in the box with the ones off the chummy.

Many thanks to all those who contributed.

Very helpful for me

The reason why the shields on the nearside differ between the RN and RP models is that the shape of the manifolds and exhaust front pipe are also different due to the different carburetters used.

Here we go. The plates off a RP.

The nearside (exhaust side). This goes over the exhaust.

The offside.

On the RN body I had (and my RL) both plates are like the bottom (offside) one but handed. The nearside one goes under the exhaust.

They are the ones I've got on my RP. Apologies if I got the terminology wrong in my original post. Je suis con.