Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Austin Seven Chummy 1925 for sale on eBay £35,000

JonE
out of interest, how much work is entailed putting a 1.5" crank in an early crankcase, and does it result in a fantastic (if non-original) unit?

I think that it can be done but it's a tight fit. You also have to change the con-rods, flywheel, rear main bearing, and other parts. Much better to fit a Phoenix 1-1/8" crank and then you can use all the original parts. And the engine should feel more responsive as well.

David

At 35,000 I may be forgiven a little pedantry. Surely you can't RESTORE a car to better than Factory? Perhaps OVER RESTORE might be more correct a term?

I think OVER RESTORE sounds about right. But still something about the whole car seems wrong.

John Edwards
I think OVER RESTORE sounds about right. But still something about the whole car seems wrong.

Hood cover completely wrong
Pram hood frame wrong when hood is up
Too many lights at the back
Wrong back window frame
Modern carpets
Wrong calometer

No it's a 1929 AD tourer. I was just being stupid

I'd much prefer this Chummy and £19005 in my pocket

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Austin-7-Chummy-1928-/291868583831?hash=item43f4b92797:g:zrkAAOSwFdtXyF~T

John Edwards

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Austin-7-Chummy-1928-/291868583831?hash=item43f4b92797:g:zrkAAOSwFdtXyF~T

Exactly. If you have to ask why, you won't understand the answer.

A fraction of that 19 grand would make this car into something very, very nice.

Steve

Liam Mcdermott

Hood cover completely wrong
Pram hood frame wrong when hood is up
Too many lights at the back
Wrong back window frame
Modern carpets
Wrong calormeter

... bulkhead and engine side trays should be painted black, bonnet handles and starting handle shouldn't be nickel plated, seat cushions are the wrong shape, are the door latches positioned too low? ... the list is endless!

Steve Jones
John Edwards

Exactly. If you have to ask why, you won't understand the answer.

A fraction of that 19 grand would make this car into something very, very nice.

Steve

That looks to be a lovely car. I'm not that bothered by matching numbers and shiny chrome when something this nice and usable is available.

The problem to my way of thinking is when people get hold of something like car B and turn it into something like car A.

John Edwards

That is an absolute belter - I love it. Thanks for sharing.

Apart from the modern rad core and starting handle it is a belter I agree, but it is not a fair comparison as it is not a pramhood chummy. They are earlier and rarer. Find another 1924/25/26 chummy for sale and then compare. The restoration is not to my, or I'm sure, others taste. There is an unrestored one coming up at Richard Edmonds auction next month, compare it with that for a fairer contest.

I mentioned this on 9th August-

"On the back page of the August 2016 issue of 'The Automobile' Richard Edmonds gives a few results from their June auction

On notable car - a 1923 Austin 7 Chummy which sold for £26,320 including premiums (that is about A$50,000)

It looks in good order from the picture but some might know more details."

From all accounts this quite original car needed little work to get it on the road. I think it would have been a much better buy than the much over-restored car under discussion.

Tony.

Lance Sheldrick
Apart from the modern rad core and starting handle it is a belter I agree, but it is not a fair comparison as it is not a pramhood chummy. They are earlier and rarer. Find another 1924/25/26 chummy for sale and then compare. The restoration is not to my, or I'm sure, others taste. There is an unrestored one coming up at Richard Edmonds auction next month, compare it with that for a fairer contest.

For sure but who is competing? I am just loving the original seats, paint and uncluttered dash, sublime!

photo Chummy1_zpspttmnl45.jpg

photo Chummy2_zpsatd2rpwn.jpg

I would love such a vehicle but it wouldn't last two weeks with my girls crawling all over it and filling it up with "pink fluffy" s**t!!

Yes it can be done, but as David says there's very little space. Sometimes there is even less -ie. none and you have to machine away crankcase wall and Con rod bolts to get clearance. Not a lot of point really when both smaller size cranks are available new.

Lots wrong with this one too, but if I was in the market for a Pram-hood Chummy, I know which one I'd go for... and I'd save lots of money!

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C789881

JonE
out of interest, how much work is entailed putting a 1.5" crank in an early crankcase, and does it result in a fantastic (if non-original) unit?
 photo P1020577.jpg
Even a counterbalanced crank will fit,Most trouble is getting it in in the first place.

Ruairidh,
Make the most of the "pink fluffy" s**t!!. It only gets worse, believe me, I also have 3 girls, the youngest 36 now. 3 grandsons and a 5 year old grand daughter, the pink s**t starts again.

No pink but my little helper. photo 82C79F16-01CD-43AD-B164-591C76F8086A_zpsju4vr9si.jpg