Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: petrol pump

Thanks for info, Didn't know it would run with original petrol pump
So will try , Will save wiring issue
Had S U Carb and pump hanging round the garage for some time, Have a S U fitted to
my special which works well
Will see if it performs better at "Santa pod "

I think fuelling issues with an SU fed from a bulkhead gravity feed tank are the reasons why some have used the electrical pump option. I can certainly vouch for the fact that I have never experienced fuel starvation on my car since changing to the SU.

Best of luck.

Make sure your mechanical pump sucks and blows before fitting it back on your car,its easily tested by pumping the arm and putting a finger over the inlet and oulet.
You might need to prime it by putting some Petrol into the inlet.
It might need dismantling and cleaning.
Hopefully it will work if not fit a new diaphragm.
It's much better to keep your Austin as it was designed.
Martin

I would definitely fit a new diaphragm to an old pump.

Be absolutely certain it's the latest ethanol resistant type though.

Good afternoon all. I have been advised that if fitting an electric pump to any car the fitting of an inertia switch is advisable as if involved in a collision the pump stops feeding fuel into a potential fire.
What do others think?
Regards
Stuart

An inertia switch is usually present on a car with fuel injection. In such a case the fuel pump supplies fuel at a very high pressure to serve the injectors, with a low pressure return to the tank of unused fuel. The operating pressure is far higher than anything achievable by an A7 camshaft driven mechanical pump or an after market low pressure SU type pump. If the high pressure feed to the injectors is ruptured there is a risk that the pump will continue to pump fuel at very high pressure (35-40psi) until the electrical supply is cut off or the tank is empty of fuel. The inertia switch is activated in the event of a heavy collision in order to cut off the electrical supply to the fuel pump. You can achieve the same effect by switching off the ignition, although I accept that you can't do that if you're dead or unconscious or otherwise incapacitated.

There's always a risk, but how many Austin Sevens have been involved in serious collisions in the past 20 years, and of those how many resulted in a fuel fire? Not many I would guess. An inertia switch won't help in the event of a flooding carburettor or a fractured fuel pipe which are far more likely occurrences with an A7.

My car has a 1kg fire extinguisher handy in the event of such an emergency. Just in case.