Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: How did your 7 survive ?

'. Not many especially early Top Hat Saloons exist because they literally 'shook themselves to death!' because the roof supporting pillars were so weak, some as a result were converted to 'Chummies' a clue being less rear wing to body ratio due to the wider body of the early saloons.[/quote]

My 1928 tractor conversion (ex Ray Walker) was originally a Top Hat saloon, or more correctly, an R saloon. It was converted by a blacksmith in the next village to where I now live, during the war. He converted around six sevens in this way with two gearboxes, rear axle mounted directly on to the chassis and exhaust taken up through the bonnet. It retains the original scuttle and dash and we can tell that it was a Top Hat because the door latch shut plates are on the scuttle and you can see where the aluminium screen pillars have been cut. It was re registered in 1944 as a "Motor Plough", for which I have the buff logbook. I imagine it took some time to plough a field! It has survived but in a very different form.

I well remember your tractor in Ray's garage where I drank much tea in the 60s. Sorry to see his old site so derelict.

The old garage is sad now I agree. Ray used to drive the tractor to the Eagle in Benet Street sometimes for a lunchtime pint. He used to let me drive it round the yard and once along Perowne street, I would have been about thirteen and it was the first Seven I drove.

Well my Austin started with being my grandmothers first car in 1936....

photo image_zpsg2sftqk9.jpeg

And is now mine after being used through the years by my father, until I got him...

photo image_zpsyuxyrfj5.jpeg

Seems an appropriate place to ask if anyone knows anything about a Chummy, registration OY 27. My father courted my mother in it. I know it is not on the Register. I now own an RK.

Bought with a collection of other spares cars in the 1970s and stripped. Laid upon the rafters of a garage ceiling until 2014 when the rafters needed to be replaced. "Oh, I forgot it was up there!"