Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: 1931 austin six

Hi Jesse - Welcome

Lots of useful info and spares can be found for 1930s Austins can be found on the Austin ten Drivers club website

They are a good source of technical manuals and advice for the bigger Austins.

You will find several pictures of 6 cylinder Austins of various sizes in the austin cars section of my own website - these may help identify the correct year for your own car

best wishes

David

P.S. Good work with the kids!

Jeff Taylor
Hi Jesse,

The email address for the Vehicle Licensing Enquiries in Coleraine, Northern Ireland can be found in the link below:

https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/contacts/contacts-az/driver-vehicle-agency-driver-licensing

Jeff.

Jeff , thank you once again..the dist is a DJ6A i will check him out..

Pearls not a Singer
Hi Jesse - Welcome

Lots of useful info and spares can be found for 1930s Austins can be found on the Austin ten Drivers club website

They are a good source of technical manuals and advice for the bigger Austins.

You will find several pictures of 6 cylinder Austins of various sizes in the austin cars section of my own website - these may help identify the correct year for your own car

best wishes

David

P.S. Good work with the kids!

DAVID, THANK YOU,, nice to know i have a friend on here,,now a feel at home...i have been trying to open an account on there site, but it keeps asking me some questions that only some one who has some knowledge on the austin can answer to become a member..I AM CLUES LESS WHEN IT COMES TO THIS ..LOL..ASK ME ANYTHING ON A MERC..

Hi Jesse,

If it's a DJ6A then it will take the Lucas 400833 contact set which the Distributor Doctor has in stock - see illustration of the set from his website below.

Rotor Arm: Lucas number 401122

Condenser: Lucas number 484249

Distributor Cap: was numbered over a period of time by Lucas firstly as 400181 then 400315 and finally 403842

Jeff.

Location: Almost but not quite, the far North East of England

Jeff Taylor
Hi Jesse,

If it's a DJ6A then it will take the Lucas 400833 contact set which the Distributor Doctor has in stock - see illustration of the set from his website below.

Rotor Arm: Lucas number 401122

Condenser: Lucas number 484249

Distributor Cap: was numbered over a period of time by Lucas firstly as 400181 then 400315 and finally 403842

Jeff.

thank you.. i just ordered the set..hopefully i can get her to fire up,, previous owner stated it ran, we tried and she cranks good but wont fire up. spark seems very low so we orderd new cap, rotor and points. the car has a 12v battery in it. but from what you stated earlier the car should be a 12v

Great news, let us know how you get on when the parts arrive.

Best of luck,

Jeff.

Jeff Taylor
Great news, let us know how you get on when the parts arrive.

Best of luck,

Jeff.

thank you...i will also be needing a radiator cap, any leads?

Jessie I have an original illustrated list of spare parts for the April 31 Austin sixteen available if you don't have one. Others may know if it suits your car. cheers Russell
(edit) I just noted from David's excellent Austin 10 site that six cylinders were in many other Austin models as well, from 12 through to 20. I will have books for them as well

squeak
Jessie I have an original illustrated list of spare parts for the April 31 Austin sixteen available if you don't have one. Others may know if it suits your car. cheers Russell

russel thanks.. i have no idea what that may be.. but if its something that might be for my car i might be interested... thank you jess

Jess I suggest we wait and see which model you have, I have mailed you. regards Russell

Hi Squeak,

I just mailed Jesse these photos I found on Flickr showing what is described as a 1933 16/6 Open Road Tourer taken at a rally in Dorset this July - apart from a few minor detail differences in the lighting department, it would otherwise appear identical to his, which of course also fits in with early 1933 registration plate his car carries - surprisingly this car also sports a similar AA badge but attached to the bumper bar !

Unfortunately I'm not familiar with the engines in these cars, in particular which of the other 6 cylinder models in Austin's range had the same engine. An original handbook and parts list would be of great benefit to him.

Jeff.

There are some possibility critical differences for dating the cars in the photos

Jeff's car has later side lights and if the semaphore indicators are original then the car would be later than early 1933

This is from memory, all my references are in store

hope it helps

David

Hi Jesse,
just to say you should be able to sign up to join the ATDC without entering car details
(I am a member myself).
You should be able to leave vehicle details blank and enter them later when you have them, by updating your member profile.
I did this for my 12/4 Ascot.
You will find Austin owners are a friendly bunch as you have seen here and people will usually try to help.

Regards,
Steve V.

Stephen Voller
Hi Jesse,
just to say you should be able to sign up to join the ATDC without entering car details
(I am a member myself).
You should be able to leave vehicle details blank and enter them later when you have them, by updating your member profile.
I did this for my 12/4 Ascot.
You will find Austin owners are a friendly bunch as you have seen here and people will usually try to help.

Regards,
Steve V.

steve, i have been trying..it is asking me to answer questions like (what is the code on newsletter) i have no idea what code or what news letter?

Jess firstly I must declare I know nothing of Austin sixes, however...
from the relevant parts books the 6 cyl motor for the Austin 12 and Austin 14 differ markedly from the motor in the Austin 16 and will be easy to spot.
The SIXTEEN appears to be an aluminium crankcase with cast iron block,the tappet covers (possibly aluminium) have cast Austin script.
The 12 and 14 are 1 piece cast iron blocks with Austin script cast in.
My source books are, for the twelve 1931 thru to 1935 and for the 14, 1937. As previously stated the 16 is from 1931.
An additional pointer is the position of the top water outlet from the head. The 12 and 14 exit from approximately the center, the SIXTEEN from the front, and the TWENTY from both the front AND the back. Source various Austin sales catalogs 31 to 38.
Hope this helps with dating, regards Russell

[/quote]
steve, i have been trying..it is asking me to answer questions like (what is the code on newsletter) i have no idea what code or what news letter?[/quote]

Might be worth clicking on the 'Contact Us' button and filling that out requesting
assistance.
Someone should get back to you (Monday -Friday).

Steve V.

Does anyone know the firing order to my car.. it has a 6 cylinder

Hi Jess,

What I can tell you is that some of Austin's 6 cylinder petrol engined commercial vehicles had the firing order 1,5,3,6,2,4 whether your car had the same firing order I'm not sure. Hopefully someone else on the forum will be able to confirm.

Jeff.

Jess - I'd suggest Jeff is correct, as the 6cyl 1171cc engines of the mid-30s 14hp and 12/6 Austins both had the firing order as he quoted. I have a list of suggested engine numbers which may be of use if you let us know yours. Good Luck with a good-looking car. Cheers, Bill in Oz

Bill Sheehan
Jess - I'd suggest Jeff is correct, as the 6cyl 1171cc engines of the mid-30s 14hp and 12/6 Austins both had the firing order as he quoted. I have a list of suggested engine numbers which may be of use if you let us know yours. Good Luck with a good-looking car. Cheers, Bill in Oz

Thank you...where do I find the engine # , I took the carburetor apart yesterday to clean it out, and I must say it is a very simple carburetor, ready to install it today and hope she fires up...thank you all for your help..

Jess,

Although this pdf page link applies specifically to Austin 7's and not to Austin's larger engined cars, it may give you some clues as to where to look and the type of format the Engine / Chassis and Car Numbers take. You may also find that your Rear Axle is numbered / dated in a similar fashion to Austin 7 back axles - note you may need to attack the back axle casing with a wire brush to reveal any numbers that may be stamped into the cast iron casing. Although I'm not familiar with the larger engined Austins, I'm sure they would adopt a similar "Quote This Number" principle as used on the Austin Sevens.

http://a7ca.org/downloads/QuoteThisNumber.pdf

Hope by now you've got her fired up !

Jeff.

Jeff Taylor
Jess,

Although this pdf page link applies specifically to Austin 7's and not to Austin's larger engined cars, it may give you some clues as to where to look and the type of format the Engine / Chassis and Car Numbers take. You may also find that your Rear Axle is numbered / dated in a similar fashion to Austin 7 back axles - note you may need to attack the back axle casing with a wire brush to reveal any numbers that may be stamped into the cast iron casing. Although I'm not familiar with the larger engined Austins, I'm sure they would adopt a similar "Quote This Number" principle as used on the Austin Sevens.

http://a7ca.org/downloads/QuoteThisNumber.pdf

Hope by now you've got her fired up !

Jeff.

Jeff thank you. Unfortunately not. I cleaned out carb, put new spark plug, new points new cap and rotor, bUT cant get her to fire up. Not suRe what I am missing. Is the number one piston the front near fan and 6 near firewall. ,

Jess,

I think you must join the Austin Seven Register and then ask on their forum for advice applicable to your car.

Tony.

Jess,

Yes, number 1 piston is traditionally at the front and number 6 near the firewall.

Re the radiator cap you require - Austin Reproduction Parts Ltd produce new ones for the 16/6 (sixteenth item down - Rad Cap 12/4 16/6) - however I suggest you email Willie McKenzie the owner of Austin Repro and send him photos of your car to confirm that the cap he manufactures will fit your model. You'll notice Austin Repro's list also contains many other parts for the six cylinder cars - again check with Willie before ordering to make sure they are the correct parts for your car.

http://www.austinrepro.com/other-vehicles.htm

Willie McKenzie's email address is:

arpmckenzie@hotmail.co.uk

Have just noticed, the photos I posted earlier in the thread of the blue 1933 16/6 Open Road Tourer registration VE 8616 appears to be fitted with a Boyce Motor Meter (a water temperature gauge) and Calometer Wings in place of the standard radiator cap - it would appear that Austin Repro also stock these new reproduction parts.

Jeff.

Tony Press
Jess,

I think you must join the Austin Seven Register and then ask on their forum for advice applicable to your car.

Tony.

There doesn't appear to be very much activity on the VAR forum Tony. Only 10 members, 6 posts covering 4 topics and the greatest number of users ever online at any one time was 4 !!

Jeff.

Jeff Taylor
Tony Press
Jess,

Tony.

There doesn't appear to be very much activity on the VAR forum Tony. Only 10 members, 6 posts covering 4 topics and the greatest number of users ever online at any one time was 4 !!

Jeff.

I agree, and waa told i need an address in uk and I have to pay to join..but It don't look like they have many members and I'm in Los Angeles

I suppose you have tried 'The Home of the Austin 12, 16 and 20' website-

http://www.austin12.org.uk/

which doesn't look to have a membership charge and has quite a bit of technical material on Maintenance and Repair, pictures and copies of many Handbooks and Spare parts Books for purchase.

The 'Vintage Austin Register' has a £35 non UK fee, so it seems odd that you need a UK address - but then I haven't tried to join.

Maybe this is why there are few forum members.

Tony.

Tony Press
I suppose you have tried 'The Home of the Austin 12, 16 and 20' website-

http://www.austin12.org.uk/

which doesn't look to have a membership charge and has quite a bit of technical material on Maintenance and Repair, pictures and copies of many Handbooks and Spare parts Books for purchase.

The 'Vintage Austin Register' has a £35 non UK fee, so it seems odd that you need a UK address - but then I haven't tried to join.

Maybe this is why there are few forum members.

Tony.
thank you tony I will try that link.

well guys yesterday i got her finally fired up.. and she sounds healthy..i would share some pics but honestly have no clue how to..

First you need to get a 'Photobucket Album'

I will give you the url when I open my Photobucket Album to recover my 'avatar' which has gone walkabout-

http://s862.photobucket.com/

Then follow the instructions at the head of the Forum.

Tony.

jesse castillo
well guys yesterday i got her finally fired up.. and she sounds healthy..i would share some pics but honestly have no clue how to..

Great work Jesse!

If you email your photos to me I would be very happy to post them up for you.

I belong to the VAR, it is a big Club and has members worldwide - I wonder though if your car comes more under the banner of the Austin Ten Drivers Club?

Don't be put off by the Austin 10 in the title, they cater for all post vintage (1931/2-1939) Austins of all sizes - your car needs may be best served by them, see here: http://www.austintendriversclub.com

They have a dedicated section to the type you have purchased here: http://www.austintendriversclub.com/cars/16-18hp/#ad-image-2