Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
1 2
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: The younger me and my Austin 7

I wonder how many of these excellent pictures would have survived if they had been stored on some long forgotten and incompatible hard disc...bring back the enprint!

Paul
I thought I would start a new thread... as it says..

1971, Newcastle Upon Tyne and a hairy University student.

At that time the van was transport from home in Birmingham to Newcastle University [quite a long way...].
I recall fuel was expensive though, on a student grant :- afterall, you only got three gallons of 2-star for your pound note...

The van was also known as ''squeals on wheels" for [ahem] various reasons...

Anyone got any more pictures of themselves in olden times?

** I realise that , in these modern times, the terms ''Student Grant'' "2-star" and "Pound Note" are difficult concepts to grasp ...**

My word - I did start something here didn't I ? - such really marvellous snaps & snippets..

and nearly 3500 views and counting too!..

Congrats again, Paul, but I doubt what you've started is finished yet. Hopefully as Friends sift through their photos they'll pass them on to this site for many years to give everyone enjoyment.
Ian D - I notice you're still talking erections. (Only envious, 'cos I've never been anywhere near that far North - was that the trip in the 12?).
Cheers, Bill

You may remember Tony Johns from his visit to UK in 1981 with the justly famous 'Raid Cars' (given an excellent mention in Martin Eyre's book 'Austin Seven Competition Cars 1922-1982')

In 1960 when Tony owned my Chummy he built his first Austin Seven racing car, both shown here at a Melbourne race meeting with Tony about to climb aboard.

photo TonyJohns1928Chummy.jpg

Note back then no roll bar !

Tony.

Ian Dunford writes:

One hour before wedding and one day before setting off for Norway.

photo 20151216_172114_zpsuk3tdek6.jpg

The car and owner are still in the family but, perhaps, even more remarkable - so is the suit!

photo IMG_1066_zpsyanmihgu.jpg

Ruairidh Dunford
Ian Dunford writes:

One hour before wedding and one day before setting off for Norway.

The car and owner are still in the family but, perhaps, even more remarkable - so is the suit!

And yet even more remarkable is that the suit still fits ..........

photo P1010835_zpsd0935f5c.jpg

1962 ish I think up on Beeley Moor,Derbyshire. Im on my mums knee in the front, safety first in those days!

photo P1010834_zps91710082.jpg

Maybe a year or so after,car now fitted with a front airdam.

Fellow I purchased APE from. Photo taken about 1947.

photo 5-nels opal 2_0001_zps3advhgxy.jpg

Bill of sale 1947.

photo 4-IMG_zpsj3t8yl3h.jpg

Couple of years ago.

photo 1-PICT0002_zpsu5vtq0rj.jpg

Another move

photo 2-P1100366_zpsa0kakhxg.jpg

Present state!!

photo 3-DSC02205_zpsprib365y.jpg

Great thread and I've uncovered a few photos from the era I think Tom Abernethy has mentioned. I was introduced to A7s by his friend Alec Mitchell, my sister Mairi's then boyfriend and subsequent husband. They were in a sort of gang with a chap called Ian Bell and got up to all kinds of mischief. I inherited Ian's 1928 Chummy YC4818 'in bits and boxes' illustrated in the following photograph at the age of 16 thanks to £50 from my father who wanted to deter me from 'killing myself on motorcycles'. It took me just over a year to restore it....of sorts, but I reckon it's one of the best engines I ever re-built. Sadly the car no longer exists despite lots of searching.

http://s793.photobucket.com/user/doctorbob7/media/3584_zpsgicvwsqp.jpg.html

James' photo...

Aged 16 in 1st Austin 7 YC4818 photo 3584_zpsgicvwsqp.jpg

Sunday, 14th April 1975. Me, aged 17 years and 14 days, practising for my (successful) driving test in the RP three days later. The car is still my daily driver.

photo Sunday13thApril1975_zps1bfbc8f9.jpg

Martin Prior
Sunday, 14th April 1975. Me, aged 17 years and 14 days, practising for my (successful) driving test in the RP three days later. The car is still my daily driver.

photo Sunday13thApril1975_zps1bfbc8f9.jpg

A year earlier, in April 1974, I was half-way through the car's first restoration:

photo VJ 4985 and Martin April 1974_zpslbarrzki.jpg

Earlier still, in late 1971, a 13-year-old me with my first car, a £25 1955 A30 Seven (so it counts!). I still have this one, too.

photo 10Martinaged13withthenewly-acquiredA30_zps57f6cdac.jpg

Another family stalwart, now my daughter Charlotte's transport, was the 1934 PD two-seater bought by my brother Stephen in 1974, seen here blasting across a field with a nervous-looking cousin in the passenger seat! Ah, the happy days when spotty schoolkids could afford a running Austin 7!

photo Dandruff 1974 9_zps3i34diut.jpg

Same car, 42 years later, with my son David at the wheel. Maybe he can us this to revive this thread in a few decades!

photo IMG_0681_zpse9054d9f.jpg

Andrew Mitchell
 photo P1010835_zpsd0935f5c.jpg

1962 ish I think up on Beeley Moor,Derbyshire. Im on my mums knee in the front, safety first in those days!

Andrew, is that your sister Jenny in the foreground? If so, I can almost replicate your photo in this shot from, I think, 1974 - Jenny once again in the foreground, with you lurking in the background!

Hi Mike. Haha,very good. I can remember that trip out! Cant remember who owned the Fraser Nash but was the BMW Anthonys?
I think it is Jenny in the photo but it could be Sarah! I only sold the RP a few years ago when I got the Ruby Tourer finished.
Anyway,similar weather and era, here is Sarah and Jenny. Not an Austin unfortunately.

photo P1010833_zps07d4b202.jpg

Yes, that's Anthony's BMW ... and the Frazer Nash is his too, now! At the time it was Derek Fernley's car.

Two topics

Re Gord French’s post, US $535 seems a helluva lot of money for a toy Seven in USA. Dont know how Canadian dollar compared. Maybe cars were scarce and actual prices inflated as elsewhere at the time but desperation has its limits.You could buy a real car, a new Chev or Ford, for US $1200 or so. Just postwar my father was offered NZ £200 on several occasions for our RP bought in 1940 for £70, before serious rationing. (Wages here somewhat higher than UK; tradesman around £12 per week. A new A40 about £600 plus backhanders.)

I love the idea of going for the driving test in a Seven in 1975. Would have to refrain from flick of the wrist U turns and other Seven specialities. Any prudent tester would grant a pass, for fear of the challenge to do better! I was looking forward to doing the oldies test in mine, then the spoil sports scrubbed it. I suspect they were losing too many testers from traumatic stress syndrome. Allowing employees in some cars or with some drivers would likely not meet the latest health and safety rules. If driver got out to pull on the tyres for a really tight park, the inspector might not be impressed to learn that it is done to avoid straightening the track rod or breaking the steering arm. Testers fail cars if not considered roadworthy. I wonder what they would make of the vacuum wiper in a downpour.

Hope the following photos load properly this time. The first circa 1965 shows Beaulieu Motor Museum when exhibits were just housed in what looks like a few sheds, a marked contrast to the current sophisticated museum. Also of interest are the Pullman coaches as a backdrop (headed I believe by a similarly static Schools class Steam Loco). Sadly, I don't know the name of the chap in the foreground but someone on the Forum may.

Beaulieu ? When photo 68302_zpsvlp46fvo.jpg

The next photo is of Alec Mitchell and Tom Abernethy at the same Austin 7 rally ? 1965.

Alec Mitchell and Tom Abernethy photo 69904_zps0f7gjfz8.jpg

I have to thank these guys for inflicting their interest on me as having Austin Sevens most of my life have provided me with something simple and stable when everything else at times was so complicated and confusing.

Bob Culver
Two topics

Re Gord French’s post, US $535 seems a helluva lot of money for a toy Seven in USA. Dont know how Canadian dollar compared. Maybe cars were scarce and actual prices inflated as elsewhere at the time but desperation has its limits.You could buy a real car, a new Chev or Ford, for US $1200 or so. Just postwar my father was offered NZ £200 on several occasions for our RP bought in 1940 for £70, before serious rationing. (Wages here somewhat higher than UK; tradesman around £12 per week. A new A40 about £600 plus backhanders.)

I agree, for a 10 year old car. I've attached the invoice for my Dad's new 46 Chev he purchased after returning from overseas WW2. There was a rubber shortage then so he was on his own to find tires!
The Can dollar was about par with the US at that time and I think 1 pound sterling was about $4 Can dollars.

photo IMG_0001_zpswvk1t3ux.jpg

Hi James A

I love your observation "having Austin Sevens most of my life has provided me with something simple and stable when everything else at times was so complicated and confusing."

The same thought occurs with ever increasing frequency. I hope you are not enforcing any copyright. It is not just computers, phones, and electronic gadgets, but laws, modern cars, even house electrical work, plumbing etc. When I first started work a senior engineer told me he had last been involved with matters technical when the screen grid radio valve had been invented, and his knowledge ended there(1929?). At the time it struck me as preposterous. Despite having worked in the field I am now similarly behind the times. But Seven matters remain the same, except that modern exhaust valves apparently last beyond 5,000 miles, and some cars can lock their wheels.

James Anderson
... Sadly, I don't know the name of the chap in the foreground but someone on the Forum may.

Beaulieu ? When photo 68302_zpsvlp46fvo.jpg

Could it be a young John Ward?

Thanks Bob for your comment and Mike for the info.. Don't want to hog this thread but I hope it's of general interest to the Forum. Here's a couple more. The first is a rather dapper and flamboyant character possibly Barry Clark with a young Ian Dunford facing him.

photo 69602_zps0ghowhb0.jpg

The second one shows lots of faces but I don't know any of their names...Help !!!

photo 69303_zpsw5tpojid.jpg

James Anderson
with a young Ian Dunford facing him.

That isn't Ian but I can imagine why you might think it is.

Mike Hodgeson/Roy Warberton/John Fitch may also be contenders....

Dear James

In the 1960's I worked with Alex Mitchell at Barr& Stroud at Anniesland
Also with Tom Abernethy's Brother Ronnie.

I had the remains of a Nippy, but the daily driver was a very rust Morris 8 Tourer, famously listed in the Profile of the Mortis 8, as what not to to to a pre-war car!( before I bought it though)

You mentioned Ian Bell, could he have been Ian Bell who was journalist? As his widow lives on our village.

I now am building a GE Cup model rep, inspired , by seeing both the first Abernethy's Cup and Brooklands but after a 50 year gap!
I might just post a photo of myself in another Morris 8 bought the day before my wedding!

What a great strand.
Bill G
Scottish Border

I can confirm the yellow jacket is Barry Clarke; I recognise the beard in blue, but cannot put a name to it for the moment - could be Martin Eyre, but definitely not John Fitch.
Neville Barr in the hat on the left in the second photo.

Apologies for misidentifying Ian Dunford, the 3/4 rear view of 'Bearded Blokes' is obviously challenging more than me ! Don't think it's Mike Hodgeson, so the jury is still out on that person. Thanks for the info. on Alec and Tom, Bill. Fortunately, the Ian Bell I'm referring to is still alive and well according to my sister Mairi, who I phoned regarding this matter, and he's a retired engineer. I'm fairly certain that the following photo is of a young Ian Dunford but it presents another problematical rear view of someone in a jumper this time !

photo ian_zpsn3nejstb.jpg

Appreciate that the following (fairly awful quality) photo is a bit 'off piste of the younger me' theme but as I said in an earlier entry reveals how much Beaulieu Motor Museum has changed. Think this is Tom Abernethy's Chummy in the foreground and the static Schools Steam Loco 'Stowe' and a couple of Pullman coaches in the background... as a bit of a steam buff, I would be interested to know what happened to them.

photo 67304_zpsrc48k9md.jpg

the static Schools Steam Loco 'Stowe' and a couple of Pullman coaches in the background... as a bit of a steam buff, I would be interested to know what happened to them. (Quote)

Sorry, "off topic", but "Stowe" is under overhaul at the Bluebell Railway and 1st Class Pullman car "Fingall" is operational on that line. 1st class car "Agatha" is owned by VSOE (Orient Express) and is stored in a dismantled state. 3rd Class Parlour Car No.35 was burned at Beaulieu in 1972.

I think the chap in the yellowish jumper I'm talking to in James photo may be Dave Blessley from South Wales.

Oh!.
It also appears to be one of the very rare photos of the short period of time before I started combing my parting in a circle

Thanks for the 'steamy' info. Martin, I should've known about Stowe, as I live so close to the Bluebell. It's great to be able to add some names to the photos. There are quite a few more but they are more about cars than people, apart from this one, Tom Abernethy is the only familiar face to me on the far right !

photo 70701_zpsjwxnm9f2.jpg

The absolute bounder is sat next to my wife to be.
ian Dimmer on the far left.

Ian, the absolute bounder's efforts seemed to pay off ! 'Didn't you both do well' in my best Brucie voice !

photo lake1204_zpsb78mqnnt.jpg

By the way, HAPPY BIRTHDAY Ian !!! I'm sure I speak for everyone on the Forum when I offer my thanks to you for being such a stalwart in the Austin 7 preservation movement.

1982, car park of the White Horse, Milton. We had been asked by local TV to assemble the cars that were doing the Joggle. I wasn't, but went along for a cheeky lunchtime pint (close scrutiny of the photo will reveal my personal pint pot that hung behind the bar). I ended up being interviewed for the TV though can't remember what I said, apart from the last question. "And finally, how long do you intend driving these cars?", I took time to consider my answer, took a tug at my pint and replied "Till I fall out of it, I suppose". That bit got edited out of the piece broadcast..

photo scan0001.jpg

Both car and driver look remarkably similar today...

Love it!

Hugh - Great photo, but I rather suspect you only put it up to support your story that you and your sibling are not the original Barnes Bros from the factory racing team, as in our recent emails! You've finally convinced me. Cheers, Bill

Just thought I'd revive this thread before it completely loses momentum, as it's a super topic. As I didn't take any of the photos that have appeared of what I suspect is Beaulieu 1965 I cannot provide any clues to anyone's identity but perhaps someone 'out there' can. The chap in the beret in the 2nd photo is particularly intriguing.

photo beau1203_zpsyzsyxxfq.jpg

photo 68401 800x483_zpsnlmb027n.jpg

[in a bid to keep things going here]:-

1968 – older brother & me pictured, "on test", on the front drive of the long-suffering parents.

This was the first incarnation of OK 7095 – a collection of un-related, miscellaneous [ie scrap] bits which (or at least, the registration) has since become not one, but several ‘’genuine original works racers” [allegedly] - odd that, really.

The precise means through which we obtained [quite legally & properly at that time] the OK 7095 registration is an entertaining story in itself – but quite possibly one left untold

Nice tyres - and no, we never did get the gravity petrol system to work properly with that carb set up... (!!)

photo a7_zpsbsocxjyi.jpg

Ok, not strictly the first Austin 7 I owned (it belonged to Mr Pratchett I think), but I definitely regularly drove this car with Danny (Champion of the world) in my imagination!

photo _3-4_zpsdshrw5to.jpeg

The younger me cut his teeth on A30s and A35s. Photos are available, but I'm ashamed of my 80s hairstyle!

Three more from Ian Moorcraft:

Hi R, one to help keep the thread going if you don't mind.
This was in 1964 or maybe 65 on the way to Beaulieu, a stop in Salisbury Square.
OW 2310 my Box with Sylvia in the passenger side,Tony Russell in the blazer with his coupe parked next to me.Not sure who the other couple were. Might have been Roger Jones Van. All the best Ian

photo IMG_0918_zps54qmgltm.jpg

As Bill Sheehan said at the beginning of this thread, it's the people as much as the cars that make the Austin Seven a part of social history and should be preserved for the future.
This is Sylvia on the tow path beneath the Clifton Suspension Bridge in 1964.

photo FullSizeRender-8_zpsggwqhgpp.jpg

Me and OW 1963, great hair don't you think!

photo IMG_0920_zpshfd2fx7q.jpg

Here's the younger me and my father's Austin Seven!

The photo was taken in early 1947, and I am just visible on my mother's lap with my head next to the steering wheel!
At that time the Opal was supercharged, which my father claimed made a dramatic improvement to the fuel economy. He fitted an ex-Spitfire cabin blower, mounted on the cylinder head and belt driven from the camshaft; running at atmospheric pressure, he claimed that the otherwise standard 3-bearing engine would cruise at 60mph and return better than 60mpg! unfortunately he declared the modification to the insurance company, who promptly upped the premium to an unrealistic level, so the experiment was abandoned.

From Charlie Carpenter:

photo IMG_1925_zpsaddv2ohg.jpg

From Ian Moorcraft:

Hi Ruairidh here is the pic of your dad I promised.

This was taken in longleat rally in 1975. I organised the exhibition tent with some unrestored cars, this one was loaned on the proviso that we didn't disturb any of the cobwebs or detritus in any way. Can't remember who it was that owned it, wonder if it ever got restored.

photo IMG_0966-2_zpsoqnepp2j.jpg

Well Ian, from what I can see of the registration it would appear to be FB 8163 - if so then it is on the DVLA database as 'Not taxed for on road use' in a green box, so presumably it's been off the road since at least before the introduction of SORN in January 1998, possibly a lot longer. It is on the chassis register with notes: 2013-Sep-Ex BA7C / 2005-Dec-The Automobile Mag - Barn Find.

Described as a Blue RK saloon, first registered 04/03/1930.

Jeff.

Location: Almost but not quite, the far North East of England

Interesting to see FB 8163 still has the wartime lamp shields in place that would suggest it was taken of the road during the war as these would have been removed after 1945.

Hi Ru and Charlie, where was the photo of the Maroon Ruby taken ? There is a similar backdrop to the Campsie Fells just around the corner from my old home in Strathblane but obviously...Scotland is a mountainous place with probably lots of similar looking hills/mountains. Great photo anyway.

Hi it was in 1972 outside the Kirkhouse Inn in Strathblane. I still have the car which I bought in 1971.

Ruairidh Dunford
From Ian Moorcraft:

Hi Ruairidh here is the pic of your dad I promised.

photo IMG_0966-2_zpsoqnepp2j.jpg

My word, that "Ruby" tow job must have had ''interesting'' handling characteristics...

Thanks for the confirmation Charlie, a little further along the road to Lennoxtown lies Broadgate House (on the left) and four years before your photo in the Kirkhouse car park was taken, the following sights and sounds could probably be heard. The Austin 7 Chummy in embryonic form firstly zooming about the back garden

photo P1070095_zpsyxs0tbi5.jpg

The next photo was taken from the back door of the same house, revealing the same car and a dog called Sam a doberman pinscher. Looming up in the background are the same hills the Campsie Fells cloaked in snow, not a bad view from a back door ! Sadly, all of this apart from the Hills is gone, the car seems to have got 'lost', Sam, fractured his leg and shortly afterwards died and the garage made entirely of bark (apart from its doors) was demolished by the new owners.

photo P1070073_zps9b20lrna.jpg

I too frequented the Kirkhouse 50 years ago when I lived in Milton of Campsie( further along the Fells past Lennoxtown.

Although I had the rusty remains of a Nippy, dig out from a cottage at Crinan, I never rebuilt it as I had a hard enough job keeping a succession of Morris 8's on the road , due to the introduction of the 10 year test.

I did know the Abernethy's as I worked beside Ronnie, Tom's brother and also Alex Mitchell as we along helped make periscopes for the British Navy at Barr & Strouds. Alex used his Chummy to work and he lived a stones throw from the Kirkhouse. I was most impressed when he raised the entire roof of his bungalow with car jacks, an ENTIRE storey to make it a 2 storey house!

Shen my Cup Repolca is finished I will take to the Kirkhouse Inn!

Regards
Bill G

Sometime later Bill, Tom Abernethy , with some assistance from Alec did the same thing at his but an'ben in Gartmore.
It's now almost impossible to believe it to be the same house.

Bill gardner
I was most impressed when he raised the entire roof of his bungalow with car jacks, an ENTIRE storey to make it a 2 storey house!

It made the front page of the Herald...

photo Alec and Mhairi_zpsj3zlpir5.jpg

1 2