Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Torque Tube anchor (Later type)

This is the assembly as dismantled. I have replaced the rubber bush in the torque tube anchor but the diameter of the hole in the bush is larger than the bolt. The bush is the same size as the original. The bolt however does fit the holes in the supporting brackets. Is the bolt correct, or should it be a stepped stud arrangement with nuts on each end; to fit both the bush and the brackets?
Many thanks in anticipation.

photo IMG_8705_zpsdlcp2pgq.jpg

photo IMG_8709_zpsioqwdkrc.jpg

Re: Torque Tube anchor (Later type)

Hugh

I think from what you are saying is that the bolt is loose in the bush? On mine it is a standard bolt as you show in the photo, looks like you have the wrong size bush, Austin Seven Reproductions in Poole has the correct bush.

Isn't it a Silentblock bush with rubber bonded to inner and outer tubes ?

The inner tube is slightly longer and is gripped between the two mounting brackets by the bolt which should be a sliding fit in the bore, the outer tube is a tight hit in the torque tube socket.

Tony.

From the looseness of the fit it probably is the wrong bush but in that application where the exact location is not critical of no consequence. The centre tube must be securely gripped.
Certainly not worth the effort and expense of changing.

Many thanks to you all for your advice.

Douglas, I recently had an excellent two weeks holiday near Pool. I got this while I was there.

photo IMG_8711_zpsq4cdbflf.jpg

Hugh

Hugh,
Would not the simple solution be to find a bolt which is a snug fit in the bush
then bore the brackets to fit.
J

Hugh, Willy at ARP has some nice stuff there. I must confess my silent block when I got my car was not very silent and had movement. I got the replacement silent block but decided not to replace at this time as the noise and movement could be stopped by as others have said tightening the bolt, but if the tube if of the car I would replace as not easy to do whilst fitted to the car.

Douglas

I had problems with a cherished supplier's silentbloc bush - undersized o/d, oversized i/d (it was a near metric version) so measured and drew up the correct item. One manufacturer lists the exact bush but requires a minimum order. The solution I found was to buy a couple of, relatively easily found, Ford bushes, which are correct except length, and turn them down in the lathe. So now our Pearl has a bush that fits tightly in the anchor and the bolt clamps properly.
If anyone wants a copy of the drawing just let me know and I'll email it.
Hope this helps.

I am getting the correct size Silentbloc bushes made at the moment and hope to have them available soon. Sorry that I can't give an exact date but I'll get them as soon as I can.

David

And as with all Silentbloc bushes the bolt should be finally tightened with the axle in normal position ie not hanging down with the car on stands.