Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: That's not something you see every day!

I was a visitor in Cambridge on Rag Day in November 1969 - possibly 1970 - and was amazed at all the events that went on in the name of Charity. Clearly it had the full support of those "in authority"as you will see!
Parked on several planks, which rested on the parapet of a bridge at one end and a 4ft high trestle in the road at the other end, sat a Box Saloon pointing at the river! It was stuffed with straw and carried a plaque stating "At 2pm this car will be set on fire and shoved into the river"!!! And that's what happened. With the straw well alight,a bunch of students put their shoulders under the planks, heaved away and the flaming car crashed into the river amidst great cheers.
All had been prepared to ensure the car floated. Several canoes and/or punts now converged on the car and calmly towed it away downstream. I was impressed!!!
Perhaps this will stir memories and a photograph of this event may turn up. I wish I had had my camera!
Ron

What Larks.
Those Bullingdon scamps I expect.

That's Oxford Ian and Oxford is definitely not Cambridge.

On a naughty day out Lance,to divert accusations of bad behaviour.

In Cambridge, we don't talk about O****d but refer to 'the other place'....

That's why I didn't mention it Hugh.

Here's another bit of good parking. From FB posted by Peter Wright. https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/14370113_300688820302874_7263698835803720978_n.jpg?oh=cfc855b275168852b5d8e94ee429822c&oe=587B43D0

Peter Clayton
Here's another bit of good parking. From FB posted by Peter Wright. https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/14370113_300688820302874_7263698835803720978_n.jpg?oh=cfc855b275168852b5d8e94ee429822c&oe=587B43D0

Sevens were often judged light enough to move. In the 1940s,50s when parking at events was less ordered we occasionally found our RP had been manhandled to increase space. The 4 wheel brakes made things worse. Mudguards were pulled out of shape. My father used to get very irate. Later cars like 1980 Starlet were similarly light but were not routinely manhandled. (It is decades since I last saw a car being bounced to move it. Now it would get you arrested.)
One of the local wrecking firms had an aerial Seven for years.

Thanks Henry for putting the pic up, I really have a problem with the current system and hope with the upgrading of this forum things get easier for us.
With regard to bouncing cars around,I was talking to a friend today,who,many years go along with his farmer mates was denied access to the village dance by their local vicar. After the dance finished the vicar returned to his Standard nine, still in the alley where he parked it, but it was now turned through 90 degrees and stuck between the walls.Tough guys these farmer types.