Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Chassis tape

I think that's what they call the felt strip between body and chassis held by bifurcated rivets.

I'll soon be re-fitting an open tourer (AAK) body to its chassis and wondered if there's a better material than the felt that acts like a poultice and holds moisture.

Re: Chassis tape

I use the felt tape but soak (soak) it in Waxoyl before I attach it to the chassis - works very well and protects everything it touches.

Shuttle - being lazy and not going to the extra trouble as Ruairidh does, I've used a 2" wide by 1/8" rubber strip that comes in rolls previously glued and just adhere it to the chassis. Apart from the anti-corrosion aspect, it stays where you want it when removing/replacing the body, 'cos the felt often goes wandering during the operation, despite the rivets. Good Luck and Cheers, Bill

I suggest the use of Denso tape, available from commercial heating merchants. You might want to use two layers. It is very mucky to use, but stays where you put it because of its protective wax. It's 'official' use is to protect underground steel pipes, but if sandwiched between body and chassis it will last longer than the steel it is protecting. I have also used it for wrapping road springs, after cleaning and greasing them properly. Again the job does not need repeating.

Robert Leigh