Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Ulster Rep door cards

Hi Bill,

I have not seen one up close and personal, but from current photos of cars like David Howe's car, and a few others, as well as those early road test photos, it appears that they did have door cards, or whatever you might call them. I suspect that they were fairly thin ply. I have also heard that they work to stiffen the body in that area. A couple of current genuine Ulster photos show what appears to be uncovered plywood. I don't think we're adding much weight, and it does give more of a finished appearance. While the factory was no doubt interested in saving weight on their works cars, I would guess that having a more finished interior would help sell the cars, hence the full wings.

Best,

Erich

I used 3mm birch ply with the leathercloth glued on with spray adhesive. The shape is fairly obvious once you have the dashboard and seats in place. They are only held in by the length of split rubber heater hose that is clipped over the cockpit side. They bend to the curve of the body and do provide a significant degree of stiffening as you get your leg over!

Judy says she'll get me a set for Christmas.

DM 7155 had these cards when I bought it, and as far as I could tell they were original fitment - certainly they were pretty old! They were held at the top by the clips which also retained the rubber moulding around the edge of the body panel, there were right-angled clips attached to the flange below the dashboard, and by set-screws through the body panel at floor level. I don't recall any fixing at the back by the seat - they were probably trapped by the upholstery. They were uncovered, painted matt black like the rest of the interior.

When I reinstated them (3-ply marine ply from memory), they made a dramatic difference to the rigidity of the body.

Page 58 of Original Austin Seven by Rinsey Mills shows what appears to be a leathercloth covering which finishes at the vertical body joint under the dashboard.
Dave.

Mike - Thanks for that, but it was hard to take in what you stated due to me still laughing at Malcolm and Alan's contributions. I based my theory on continual study of original EA photos and could never see anything like setscrews or self-tappers on the body sides, just rivets side to floor. The other way to secure the bottom of the cards would be if there was a small timber strip on the floor, but I've not found that either. I hope Erich and others realised I was being facetious about the weight problem - easier to go without breakfast, especially in my case! May not be long before I look 5 foot tall in every direction. Cheers, Bill

Ulsters were provided with carpets when they were new so it is improbable that the cockpit sides were bare metal. On my replica the clips which secure the rubber cockpit edge are retained by screws which go through the plywood as well as the body side. I put dome head nuts on the inside as they have a tendency to snag on your clothing.
As the plywood adopts the same curve as the body side, I found that no extra fixings are needed. The lower edge is held in place by the seat base and at the front I finished the panel under the angled brackets that stiffen the dash and windscreen. The front of the panel is curved to fit against the seam where the steel scuttle is riveted to the alloy body tub.

Whilst on the subject of Ulsters, I think the body on my replica was made by Rochdale Motor Panels who were in business from 1948 to 1973. The firm was established by Frank Butterworth and Harry Smith who were active 750MC members. They built around 16 alloy bodies for the Austin 7 before going into GRP in 1952 and producing the Rochdale Olympic sports car.
I think my Ulster body, which was the second to be built, was probably a special order towards the end of the firms production. All I know is that it is at least 45 years old. Inside the tail was a paper makers label that unfortunately had been painted over with red lead primer. Only the word 'Panels' was legible.
It differs from most Ulster bodies in having a deep tail. I will arrange to post a couple of photos in case anyone has an Ulster with a similar body. As mine has 'Austin No.2' written inside the tail and on the spare wheel hatch cover, there may well be No.1 out there somewhere.

GO 6302 - Factory demonstrator.

Photo from the original Autocar road test. I have the original scan somewhere but not at work.

I'm not sure if there is something holding the card onto the seam at the front. It looks like there might be.

All great info everyone. Thank you! And all good laughs. Bill, your comment reminds me of when I was cycling a lot. There was one fellow who was always talking about how his components were so much lighter than everyone else's. Of course he always had the latest stuff. The problem was, the guy ate like a horse and a friend once commented that if Bob hadn't had those three donuts and hash for breakfast, he could have saved himself several hundred dollars and still been lighter.