Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: "Nippy in Newcastle" 10B12 Association Mag

Paul
Nigel was in Brittany
Paul, WP 2937 is still taxed until December

Yes -and, after a period on the Isle of Wight, now lives not far from me in the Midlands...

When your van was on the IOW, I think it was owned by the late Viv Orchard. I have a '32 van VE 9822 which Viv also owned in the early 1960's.

The latest A7CA Magazine and the excellent 2006 to 2015 Index just arrived here- a brilliant effort by Ron Hayhurst.

Unfortunately Ron was given some grief in the early days of trying to get it published but the A7CA finally came through and well done.

The grand picture of OK 9633 in the centre page of the Magazine is alone worth the subscription

Tony.

The excellent index, received a bit earlier in UK, also gave me the lead to this thread detail!

This is the Motor magazine cover concerned. The March 1944s x5 have been checked, and also ALL of the 1945s (with a vintage mag company on the web) and it isnt any one of them! Any further leads, or can anyone determine anything from the available quality of the scan? Tony Pelton obviously misread the cover date, or perhaps it was partially obscured. I wonder if the 2010 magazine editor would have had a larger scan of the cover than actually used in the magazine?

Thinking of past owners, how big is Victoria exactly? I notice Ashley says that Mike Watts has emigrated there and we seem to have several Seveners on the forum there....

Excuse me, Mr. Press, but before you start your mudslinging against the Association please get your facts right. Ron was not given any grief, we just needed to make sure in what medium we needed to publish the Index.
As with many organisations, we do not have an unlimited supply of money.

Chris Garner
Vice Chairman - A7CA

Excuse me Mr Garner but before you attack me you might see I wrote-

"Unfortunately Ron was given some grief in the early days of trying to get it published but the A7CA finally came through and well done.

The grand picture of OK 9633 in the centre page of the Magazine is alone worth the subscription"

No mention of the A7CA until I note "but the A7CA finally came through and well done"

Tony.

JonE
Any further leads, or can anyone determine anything from the available quality of the scan?

If Robin does not have a good scan of the original magazine Jon I will try to alert someone who may have a full run of The Motor to see if they can find it. I have family in Launcston or "Lansen" as they says it!

My friend (who is known to you) cannot help but suggests:

1. The librarian at the National Motor Museum - they charge but have a full run.

2. Kenneth Ball - a very helpful book seller http://www.kennethball.co.uk

Ruairidh Dunford
My friend (who is known to you) cannot help but suggests:

1. The librarian at the National Motor Museum - they charge but have a full run.

2. Kenneth Ball - a very helpful book seller http://www.kennethball.co.uk

Thanks R - I'll investigate further. I've narrowed it down a little further!

1. by May 28th 1947 copy, the cover price has changed its logo, so it's earlier than then.

2. Jan 3rd 1940 cover price is 4d, so cannot be earlier than the change to this earlier price,presumably sometime later in 1940.

You could always get in touch with LAT Photo who now own The Motor archive.

At the very least they have a full set of magazines so should be able to track down the exact issue.

The best outcome would be that they have the original prints.

Jon,

"Thinking of past owners, how big is Victoria exactly? I notice Ashley says that Mike Watts has emigrated there and we seem to have several Seveners on the forum there...."

Victoria is about the same size as UK with a population approaching 6 million.

Australia is about twice the size of Europe (including UK) with a population of 24 million

Tony.

Ashley - I've now contacted them at Haymarket too, so a many pronged attack! It would be fabulous to find the original photo, for all sorts of detail beyond what the cover can give.

Tony - ah. oops! And there was me thinking it had a little pond and a couple of shops, and lots of Austin 7 owners... sort of like an Austin 7 Shangri La....

(No worse than americans asking "Do you know John - he lives in LONDON...?")