Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: I thought my Ruby steering wheel was upside down but...

Hi
The switch goes at the top in the Northern Hemisphere. Easy to reach and works the right way! Cannot explain the drawing...
Regards
Colin

Moot point. If it was at the bottom with the wires reversed to indicate correctly, I see now it would self cancel in the direction of turn, which would be pointless. What use the archive pictures then?

My indicators never used to cancel properly until I investigated the innards of the steering wheel boss. With the control at the top and the wheel refitted in the right place they now work perfectly. The only snag is that this leaves one wheel spoke vertical at the top, which neatly obscures the speedo !

Hi Nick,
Why don't you come up and see me sometime? I'll show you mine! I can then cure your predicament.
Bart

Now Bart... we had this conversation... I was just trying to get some light shed on the drawing! Why does it show the switch at the bottom?

It would work perfectly well at the bottom. You'd just have to remember that the switch goes in the same sense that you turn the wheel. ie Clockwise to turn right, anti-clockwise for left.

I do seem to remember a friend operating the indicators in her new car the wrong way having got into her head that up was left and down was right. I'm going to take the trafficators off again and go back to hand signals!

Modern indicators work the same way. Clockwise for right, a-clockwise for left.
That means when the stalk is on the right of the column then down is right. If on the left up is right.

Tiny bit OT but...
Can any of the contributors give me a pointer where to obtain the shiny 'P' shaped piece which operates the trafficator switch-the bit you push with your thumb/finger to operate the switch? I'm sick of looking at the naked stalk on my Fourteen and I'm guessing it would be very similar to/same as a Seven one. Even the Lucas part number would suffice so I can consult Uncle Google.
Thanks in advance
AGW

AGW try the seven workshop , trafficator knob £12.00

Bryan

Thank you Brian, I'll give that a crack

*Bryan