Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
RP Deluxe fixed and sliding roof materials

I realise this has been previously covered (oops did not spot that one coming) but not recently and despite spending most of the afternoon seeking I am not sure the search facility has been much help, so may I ask for your kind guidance please?

I am going to deal with the persistent leak from somewhere near the front n/s roof, which neatly arrives in the glove box and fills it to the brim (makes the polo's go soggy don't you know). I also need to make a better job of the sliding portion of the roof, which I repaired before going to South America in 2013. The very rear portion of the fixed part of the roof covering is now lifting and the outer skin of the vinyl? covering has exposed a fabric mesh below.

I have read Sandy Croale's exposition on how the layers work, which I think I understand. (Has anybody heard from Sandy recently, I am surprised he has not been vocal on the subject of the recent goings-on in Ambridge and I miss his tales of walking the dogs and erecting the lights for Christmas around the harbour) I have been looking at supplier web sites for the covering material, but the ones I have found seem to be rather more textured than I have at present. Would anyone care to suggest a suitable material and supplier please. I think the suggested edge sealant is either dum dum or Sikaflex? Is there a spec. for the wadding and hessian layers please? I am then going to replace the headlining, I have read Ruaridh's explanation of the seams and how to fix those by tacking to the wooden cross members, any further clues would be appreciated.

My hearing is gradually getting worse and so in an endeavour to not put the old harkers under any more strain than can be avoided I am trying to reduce the noise/improve the sound deadening. I would also like to revert to rubber mats, which I understand are available from Seven Workshop, I am considering sound deadening material directly on the steel floor below the rubber matting, anybody had experience? I have in the past used a piece of latex coated felt moulded over the gearbox, which I find to be one of the greatest reductions in noise to be had. Did the RP have any sort of cover to the gearbox, if not what have you done to reduce this noise at all please? Any other suggestions, please feel free to chip in, but no I am not going to wear orange ear defenders, ear plugs possibly, but that makes it difficult to hear the instructions from my co-driver, or indeed the screaming!

Re: RP Deluxe fixed and sliding roof materials

About 30years ago we sound proofed a forward control Ford County tractor cab that we had a work, I cannot remember the name of the sound proofing material but it came in a sheet with a self adhesive backing that you cut to size, it was like a 3/8 inch thick rubber floor tile and did a good job in quieting down what was basically a metal box stuck in front of the engine. It was sold as sound proofing but I suspect a plain piece of similar thickness rubber matting would have worked just as well.