Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Nippy/Ulster head gaskets

I am also interested in buying some gaskets. Please confirm what materials will be used.
Thanks

Christopher, you have mail

Marin, they are a copper asbestos sandwich, or more correctly a modern alternative to asbestos, the price is $45.00 NZD each. Std airmail postage for 4 gaskets to the UK came out at $21.21 NZD, there are more expensive tracked postage options should that be required.

Sounds as if you're doing a great job Ian, as I said in my email to you, as I'm not trying to achieve racing or very high performance with my cars, I've just used conventional HC and LC Head Gaskets and experience really satisfactory performance for my needs. Swapping over to your gaskets should enhance this and lead to cleaner cylinder heads ! Look forward to fitting the ones I'm due to order and I'll report on what happens.

Would they be combatable for a Cambridge finned Aluminium head

Thanks for the comments, the shape of the gasket should be compatible with any of the reproduction heads with a combustion chamber shape copied from the 9E1 Austin heads.

Photographs showing one of the new gaskets against a genuine 9E1 head, and the mismatch with a std HC gasket against the same head.
 photo DSC06136_zpsbomwc18p.jpg photo DSC06138_zpsb6jyhoj3.jpg photo DSC06139_zps13i1bsai.jpg

When I initially placed this post I was underwhelmed with interest so only had 15 gaskets made, all of which have been sold. I have now started to get more enquiries but as I am making no money from this exercise I not intend to hold stock, the next batch will be to made to order only.
I would like to put an appeal out to all forum readers, if you are thinking of ordering some of these gaskets please get in touch now rather than later.

The delay in initial oders may be due to the fact that, like many others, I thought that as A7 tuned heads were quite frequently available in the UK, suitable gaskets must be too. A7 experts like the late great Alan Raeburn in fact not only produced high compression sports cylinder heads he also sensibly profiled the combustion chambers to be similar to existing heads (enabling you could use existing gaskets). However, as implied, none of these are available now and your version, that look as if they fit a wider variety of vintage tuned heads, are possibly a better option anyway and once I get a few locals in the South East's orders finalised hope to make a bulk order for about 10 gaskets, mostly of the HC variety.

I too have gathered a few orders from interested people. I will be ordering ten high compression versions shortly, giving me three spare for latecomers!