Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Grasshopper Body for Sale

I reckon everyone is being a bit unfair.
From what I can see it's oldish (older than 25?), crude in places, not unattractive and no worse than a number of trials cars that I've seen. In fact, it might be a bit better.
It's certainly not like the cobbled together "racers" that have attracted rightful derision.

Charles

If the car doesn't appeal then the zebra they are also selling might!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ZEBRA-FULL-SIZE-100-YEARS-OLD-SAME-SIZE-AS-DONKEY-STATEMENT-PIECE-/322280327069?hash=item4b0967879d:g:s8cAAOSwmLlX53z8

I am very much tempted.

Charles P
I reckon everyone is being a bit unfair.

Everyone? Really?

One or two for sure, but not everyone Charles.

For what it is worth, I agree with your appraisal.

I stand by my exclamation concerning the Zebra - I have never seen one for sale on eBay, it's awesome!

JonE
I think a '-style' is missing somewhere?

Some good 4x2 timber lengths evident from photos elsewhere.

Unless the eBay ad has been edited, it definitely says Grasshopper STYLE body twice in the description.

I'm with Charles P on this, I fail to understand the totally negative reactions. I fail to see where anyone is being less than honest; or is any use of the G word inevitably prompting irrational reactions from some quarters??

Ian Mc.

I agree, it IS actually well proportioned...
I was just referring to the title though.

Anyway, no publicity is ever bad publicity... its getting plenty of views!

The same cannot be said for the Zebra! Poor thing must feel quite left out.

I have asked the question but I am not allowed.

Ruairidh Dunford
The same cannot be said for the Zebra! Poor thing must feel quite left out.

I have asked the question but I am not allowed.

It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission Ruairidh, although a zebra prove the exception to that rule.

I'm glad that I'm not alone on this (car) body. I chipped in because any admiration was a bit quiet!

C

I agree Charles, it didn't look too bad to me in the first picture. Difficult to see from the other pictures the standard of the frame work etc. If anyone here has a better sports body for £750 I am happy to take a look!

Dave

I also agree with Charles. To me it has great potential, albeit starting again with what's there. I'm sure I couldn't build a set of wings like that for the price paid for the whole outfit. If from a 1931 car, is it short wheelbase? If yes, there's very little if anything (including the wings and body shape) there to warrant the Grasshopper reference, which is unfortunate. It appears that our Oz Trades Description Act is enforced more strongly in this Country. Cheers, Bill

Is that Zebra a long wheelbase? I imagine the earlier ones weren't, otherwise they wouldnt have been able to circumnavigate round small Savannah hills so easily.

There's a 1950s Cambridge-style body based around an original M-type MG scuttle being offered for free by Keith Durston in Surrey on the Pre War Minor Network Forum. It may require a bit of modifying to suit a Seven, but it looks a lot more like a Grasshopper than this one!

It's not a good body, home made on 3" x 22 soft wood frame.