Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Do your Oil a Favour

Hello Dave,
Details please of how you secured the zinc, what shape they were and where you placed them.
The book 'Rust & Rot' marked interesting reading and shows the efficacy of using zinc.

Geoff - September spent in Workshop using lathe.

It all started when I was given an RN saloon which had stood outside for 50 years, the bonnet and it's stay were a pile of rust on the cylinder head in which lay the Rist horn. The cylinder head core plugs had rusted away together with their seating so I tapped the holes out 3/8" BSP and fitted 3/8" BSP hexagon headed plugs which were drilled and tapped 5/16" BSF blind holes into which was screwed the 1/2" dia zinc anodes about 1/2" long but not long enough to bottom. Also 1/2" dia zinc bars drilled 5/16" slid over the water outlet connection stud, again length to suit so it doesn't prevent the outlet connection from seating. I keep looking at the blocks to see where I can fit anodes.
This was done about 4 years ago and a recent inspection shows no rust where the anodes are fitted, not like your Ruby engine Geoff.

Thanks Dave.

Geoff - Nothing memorable to say