Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Lumpy tickover...

Lots of fake Bosch parts out there!

At the risk of upsetting your supplier try asking them to return it to Bosch or take it to an authorised service centre for testing

Location: Near the birthplace of Morgan cars (which isn't Malvern)

HI,

I recently replaced my Dk4 with a bosch 009 and TBH have had loads of issues with it ever since. I restricted the advance as per different threads but have found TBH that the points gap seems stupidly sensitive which is driving me nuts. I have had pretty similar symptoms, lumpy/misfiring idle, refusal to rev beyond about 3k revs and lots of popping back. Almost came to the point of asking if anyone had a spar DK4 to do a test with!

David

Interesting.

The first 009 I bought, many years ago via Mick Kirkland was ace on my car. It ended up with dad via musical engines and is now on my daughters RP. What is odd in that it doesnt was to rev in 3rd. It just hits a flat spot. Which isnt there in 2nd at similar revs.

Its replacemen to me, which I assume came with a rebuilt engine from Vince Leek to father was on my RL (with the same engine) and went like a rocket. As did the special engine once I fitted it to that. I fitted a new one from Willie on my RL and it still goes like a rocket.

Ive never bothered with fitting the limiter to any of them.

But now youve got me thinking about the RP and why it hits this flat spot in 3rd. I had thought it to be a jet issue. Hmm

Sorry Mr Dunford Sir. No help to you

Something that hasn't been mentioned, and is possibly irrelevant, is that the original genuine Bosh distributors as used in VW beetles had the cam lobe modified to give slightly different timing on No.3 cylinder (I think it was No.3!) This was to overcome a over heating problem with that cylinder due to it's location on the air cooled engine. I can't say that this seemed noticeable when fitted to a Seven. Bosh stopped making this distributor several years ago, any supplied in the last few years would be repro and may not have this mod. The quality of the repro types has always been suspect!

Update:

I have fitted my own coil conversion to the car and it appears to be running fine now, fingers crossed.

I have found the following issues with the unit that was fitted:-

Rotor arm - the black circle is not carbon as I originally thought, it is a hole that goes throughout he brass and into the plastic below.

photo IMG_1912_zpstgbeasog.jpg

Cap - the carbon brush has been pushed up into the cap and disintegrated, the cap does not fit down on the body of the distributor. Either the spindle or the rotor arm is too tall or the cap too small.

photo IMG_1913_zpsg3zd906v.jpg

Spindle - after approx. 1000 miles of use the spindle is worn with 4-5 thou of play at the top evident when pushed as shown below:

photo IMG_1916_zpst8so3hxo.jpg

photo IMG_1915_zpsvsulrcrv.jpg

Thanks again for all the help and suggestions.

Must say fitted the latest version of coil conversion from Willie McKenzie runs well on my Twelve.

The original Bosch rotor arms had a single piece of brass from the centre to the outside. The nice AA man removed the one on my daughters Beetle when she broke down near Bristol and fitted one like Ruairidh's photo, that lasted as far as Stoke. When another AA man came to her rescue he couldn't fix it and she was relayed home and it was my job the fix it. In the space between the two bits of brass is a suppressor which is well known to fail, there was a warning about it in the PWA7 club mag a couple of months before this incident in 2003, so I knew to dig the suppressor out and solder a piece of brass in. Then I had to find the original fault-a leaking air manifold joint.