Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Elham Trial

Tunbridge Wells 750MC invite entries for the second Elham Trial on Sunday, 30 October. £20 entry fee, forms available from email address.

Attractions include the village of Elham, which is between Folkestone and Canterbury, a beautiful trial ground high on the side of a hill overlooking the Elham Valley, a portable loo for the discerning, and the offer of hospitality from the Foreman family at the end of the day.

Open to Austin Seven, Holden, Dixi, or Rosengart production cars, specials, and trials cars.

Re: Elham Trial

Barry - for some strange reason, every time I read Elham I automatically think of Peter Seller's recording about Balham. For today's further useless information, please note that where original Austin Sevens are involved, Holden was not a make. They were just one of many pre-WW2 Body builders in Oz who produced bodies the same or very similar to those from Longbridge, due to the restrictions on fully-imported bodies. I said the same, but of course most of the Sports bodies were quite different to anything English. Our Club here in Melbourne has produced a chart showing about 30 varieties of Seven bodywork. Whilst they will only sell Spares to current members, I'd be surprised if anyone couldn't purchase a chart. Cheers, Bill

From Quill's Folly, Balham's famous beauty spot, which stands nearly ten feet above sea level, the town is spread below us in a fairyland of glittering lights, changing all the time: green... amber... red... red and amber... and back to green. The night life is awakening!

The Al Morocco Tea Rooms...

"Hey, miss?"
"Yes? What d'you want?"
"Pilchards."
"They're off, dear."
"Oh. Baked beans?"
"Off."
"Oh. Meat loaf salad?"
"That's off, too."
"Pot of tea?"
"No tea, dear."
"Well, just milk then."
"Milk's off."
"Roll and butter, then?"
"No butter, dear."
"Well, just a roll!"
"Only bread, love."
"I might have just as well have stayed at home!"
"Oh, I dunno, does you good to have a fling occasionally!"

Genius, sheer genius.

Some many favourites...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RTWk9QIKS0

Bill, the reason for mentioning Holden was to entice a well-known Holden owner (6'3" tall,size 10 feet, same name as a fish) to bring his car before he sells it!

Firstly, Thanks Nick for refreshing my memory with some of the highlights. Secondly, Barry - I had actually guessed to whom you were putting in Plaice, very finny. Thanks for confirming. Hope the Oz beastie goes to a good home. Cheers, Bill

If I had a Holden I'd love to trial it. Plenty of weight over the back axle and room for the bouncer to really bounce!

Oi! I gave you those intimate measurements in strict confidence :-)

We are certainly going to try and make it down as last year was great fun.

Will you be featuring the magnificent 'Flying Loo Tent' during the day?

Bill Sheehan
Our Club here in Melbourne has produced a chart showing about 30 varieties of Seven bodywork. Whilst they will only sell Spares to current members, I'd be surprised if anyone couldn't purchase a chart. Cheers, Bill

Michael Shegog kindly sent me one of these a few weeks back - it is lovely with some fascinating body styles illustrated.

I have donated it to the A7CA archives as I don't have sufficient wall space for it to be displayed here - those of you who visit the next Open Day will be able to enjoy it there.

Donatings off dear.

The loo tent will be nailed down this year and a safely harness (ala seat belt) offered to any nervous users. At least the last time when the tent blew down I didn't have to empty the thunder box.......

Bump! ! !

So far we have only had just nine entries for the Elham trial on Sunday. The trial will run but to say I'm disappointed is an understatement.

I know there are a lot of Austin Seven owners in Kent alone who could quite easily dip their toes in the trials scene. It is after all a production car trial, so no reason for a chummy, box or Ruby to take part. Martin Baker even trials his Speedy!

The 750MC trials are of a more technical nature than some other types and are designed to be non damaging.
I personally drive to the event, let the tyres down, compete, pump the tyres up and then drive home in a RN saloon.
The weather is set fair for Sunday and there is still time to enter, even on the day.

We should feel very honoured that Barry and his large team of marshalls are willing to give up their free time for a great days sport.
So please if you are interested get in touch with Barry as soon as possible, I guarantee you will enjoy it,

Last year this was the first Trial I had ever been in. Terrific fun and absolutely ideal for a complete novice. Lots of help and advice from everyone. Really friendly bunch. Did it in the Special but could just as easily have done it in the Ruby as the course is challenging but not designed to break anything.

If you have toyed with the idea of having a go - DO IT!

When I told my son I am going he asked about trialing and will come and have go too. His words: "Cor blimey! Offroad in an Austin sounds exciting"

It is :-)

Bump.... That's what we'll be doing on Sunday.

This was Elham Trial yesterday - Glorious weather, fab venue, brilliant course - and a great bunch of people. Many thanks to everyone who helped put the day together.

Album here: Link

_DSC5251

Ace!

Dashed fine set of photos. Looks like it was a spiffing day!

It WAS a great day. Old cars, lovely countryside and good company plus chocolate mousse later on. Brilliant

Thanks for the photos Nick.

My thanks to the marshalls - without whom nothing can happen, to Mike Stone - for setting out the course so cleverly, to the Foreman family for hospitality, but chiefly to the entrants who came from far and near and gave us a glorious days' sport to watch.

The next Tunbridge Wells 750MC trial will be on January 8th 2017. The Cold Turkey Trial will be back at its old venue, just outside Sevenoaks, Kent.
Entrants forms from me.

It was brilliant. Such a great crowd of people. I even came home with some rusty gold from the Foreman skip!

Thanks to all for the usual superb organisation.

Tom

It was a splendid day. Great hills, superb marshalling as ever and the best bit was introducing a novice to have a go. Skip diving could have been better, but it did enable me to fit in an old plum tree today before collection and who had the RP petrol tank? Or was it 'stolen' in the night?