Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
shock absorber link rubber bushes questions

Reference the rubber bushes that fit into the eyes of the shock absorber links. The ones I have are all longer than the thickness of the alloy links so will stick out on both sides. Should they be cut so that the ends are flush with the face of the links so that the fibre washers are against the arm and the link OR does one allow a bit to stick out each side and do up the nuts to squash the protruding bits with the fibre washers till the 1 1/4 inches gap is achieved between the inner faces of the arms?

In July 1938 Austin replaced the single rubber bush with a split rubber bush with end flanges so doing away with the fibre washers.......does anybody supply these?
Does anyone have any idea why it was done or is there any advantage.

Re: shock absorber link rubber bushes questions

Rightly or wrongly, I cut mine off.

I have long thought that it is important on the front suspension that the rubber bushes must be tight (compressed rubber bushes) so as help in sideways locating of the front axel -- I would not cut off the ends and would compress the rubber as much as possible.

Dennis Nicholas
Reference the rubber bushes that fit into the eyes of the shock absorber links. The ones I have are all longer than the thickness of the alloy links so will stick out on both sides. Should they be cut so that the ends are flush with the face of the links so that the fibre washers are against the arm and the link OR does one allow a bit to stick out each side and do up the nuts to squash the protruding bits with the fibre washers till the 1 1/4 inches gap is achieved between the inner faces of the arms?

In July 1938 Austin replaced the single rubber bush with a split rubber bush with end flanges so doing away with the fibre washers.......does anybody supply these?
Does anyone have any idea why it was done or is there any advantage.

Have had an email reply re flanged bushes:-

"I have been using using Mini shocker bushes for a number of years with success

They have a flange on both sides and the ID is correct.

I slide them in with some rubber grease, and compress them to help axle location

Regards
David Grear
South Australia"

Thank you David