Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Electronic Ignition for DK4A

I fitted an Accuspark unit (Kit Number 39a LUCAS DKH4A Positive Earth D shape cap)to my 6 volt Pearl, which works superbly.
Overcomes the inherent wobble and hence poor timing of the standard unit. It comes with a newly tooled baseplate for easy fitting.
Only slight issue was to ensure enough headroom between rotor arm and distributor cap carbon.
I've done about 4,000 miles including two trips to Molentocht and a Yorkshire experience. I can't recommend this solution highly enough (and the company is also incredibly helpful).
Have a look at their timing light with electronic advance feature - unbelievable!

Thank you Gary and others for your response -- much appreciated.

I have already fitted electronic on my special but this uses a Lucas distributor and is on 12v. Works very well and without need for advance/ retard. (They are welded together)

To answer Bob, the condenser connection and points on he DKA are fine until something works loose etc so my intention is to go electronic on my standard 6v Opal but keep all the bits. Restoring to original is always an option for a future owner.

Charles

The plot thickens -- have ordered the bits to convert my DK4A to electronic from Powerspark Ignition Ltd, Bromsgrove.

Found them very helpful. They are currently manufacturing a DK4A replica with electronic innards which will straight on to the car. Should be available in around three months. Guy to speak to is Mark on 01527 889453

Charles