Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Ruby Mk2 Radiator tap removal

Hi
Even with the radiator out it might be difficult to remove. My Ruby had been left outside for over twenty years and the tap would not budge, but I did manage to dismantle it in situ and then fix it so it has been fine ever since. So this is perhaps an option?
Regards
Colin

Same with mine and for all the same reasons. The risk of damaging the radiator persuaded me to dismantle the tap in situ. From memory, removing a split pin, washer and spring allowed the conical tap section to be withdrawn. A little grinding paste got it to seat nicely before reassembling.

Warnings heeded!! I will firstly attempt to dismantle the tap in situ.
Currently the tap rotates 360º. Is this normal?
Before I interfered with it there were no leaks. Now the tap will no longer seal. Water seem to be seeping from either side of the tap.

360 degree rotation normal. The tap body is tapered, the moving valve part is also tapered, with a hole fromantic onew side to the other (so opens and closes twice in 360 degrees). When you remove the pin and spring it will pull out. By using grinding paste I was able to restore a nice smooth fit on the taper with mine. The spring pulls it back into a snug contact. If yours is very corroded, you may need to consider replacement after all.

Poxy auto corrupt

Access to the tap for withdrawal whilst in situ has exhausted my patience!!

I need to remove the radiator. After removing the engine cover & top & bottom hoses am I correct in assuming that the rad is secured by 3 bolts one at the top with two at the bottom?

Can the rad be removed without dismantling the fan?

All help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Hi
The radiator should come out once unbolted without disturbing the fan assembly or cowl. (Held by the studs at the bottom on each side through the support brackets and the one bolt at the top. I used a old box spanner to access the two nuts from underneath. Take care with the overflow pipe as this might be vulnerable to damage.)
Regards
Colin

Also be very liberal with the easing oil. Make sure that the nut is turning and not the stud, or you may have a nasty hole in the bottom of the radiator!

Thank you for your confirmtion. Points are well noted.