Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Dating evidence

Andrew. If you go to the web address Lance suggested and scroll down a bit you will find a section marked 'A7CA Austin Seven Register' the first entry of which is 'By Chassis Number'. If you click on that, you will download an Excel spreadsheet of the entire register in chassis number order. You can scroll through that and find the nearest entries for your chassis number..

If, as you say, your chassis number is not there, the A7CA Registrar would be delighted to hear from you to add its details..

hth...

Thank you very much Hugh.
My car falls between 4th and 11th June 1937 according to this register. If I print this out and send it with my V55/5 application, are DVLA likely to accept it? or will they ask for it to be endorsed by a club? Has anyone tried this yet?
Best regards
Andrew

Andrew, you can try it. I shouldn't think that will spoil anything, but don't be surprised if they insist on a verification from a club.

Thanks Stewart.
Do you think any of the clubs listed on DVLA will have any more information that would help the application?
I rather suspect the dvla just want the car inspected to make sure it is an actual vehicle!

Based on the feed back from the DVLA meeting re registering old cars with lost registrations I would join a club and get their assistance in confirming the date. They would also confirm that any photos / evidence is stamped by the club. I did pick up somewhere that DVLA want a date and not just a month.

I went down the V55/5 route recently , but I had a number, a period tax disc, a period MOT and a period local authority record card.

The chassis no was dateable by Wyatt and was suitably inspected by SA7C rep.No logbook and therefore my application to retain the number was rejected. After a couple of telephone calls they agreed though that I could get an Age Related number, which reluctantly I had to accept.

Do get the car club inspected and in your covering letter suggest that you would accept an age related number if you cannot retain the cars original no.

I'd be interested to hear how you get on , especially if you don't have a reg number at all, just the chassis no, photos and club inspection report..

DVLA will not revive a registration unless you have a log book or other independent record which directly links the ch no to the reg no. Some LA archive units have older ledgers and some are with the Kithead Trust. Their website is very helpful.

Wishing you all the best in getting your car back on the road.
Bill G

Andrew,
You really should join a Club. As with others, our DVLA Authentication Officer is well briefed to deal with this sort of thing and in being recognised by the DVLA, they in turn recognise the skill and honesty given to them by the Officer. Dealing with the DVLA as an individual can be tricky. A Club official knows his way around and thus often can bring about a positive result. In your case I don't think an inspection will be required.

Chris Garner. Chairman - The Pre War Austin Seven Club Limited

Thank you all for your helpful replies.
I will join one of the clubs, I think the midland club covers Oxford area.
Andrew

Andrew, if you know the original registration you should be able to locate the council who issued the number, they may have records. EG My RN saloon was registered in Essex and Essex CC still have records that are acceptable to DVLA to retain a number.
Best of luck, Brian

Stuart Palmer
Andrew, you can try it. I shouldn't think that will spoil anything, but don't be surprised if they insist on a verification from a club.

And yet the silly thing is that they could very easily verify that information using the data they already have......

As I mentioned in my original post, I don't have a reg. number or old log book.
regards
Andrew

In my case ,I had registration number , copy of the ledger record showing registration date being 29/12/38 , photos of the car with registration number attached as it was coming out of storage since 1960, but unfortunately the ledger didn't show the chassis number ,so DVLA rejected it

Hi Nigel,

Did they allow you an age related number though?

Hope they did?

Regards
Bill G

Sent authenticated paperwork off to DVLA today Bill

Hi Nigel,

Best of luck! If you have any problems I managed to get to speak to a manager in Kits and Rebuild Section D4 DVLA.

They were actually as helpful as they could be. But they have strict protocols and no freedom to vary them.

Fingers crossed for you!

Bill G