Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Waterski special

A DVLA check gave the response that this vehicle's details could not be found, so the vehicle enquiry could not proceed and was cancelled! What a surprise!

Wasn't this pile of junk on the well known auction site recently? Possibly the subject of the negative feedback?

I just hope someone doesn't get stung with this one.

Bill

IIRC this is the fifth or sixth one of these from the same seller?

He always says that inspections are welcome. He's not based that far from me so, perhaps, one day I should make the effort to go and see how bad his offerings really are and report back. Maybe combine it with a trip I'm already making in that direction? There again, do I really want to be bothered? One day, maybe.......!

Steve

Go on. You know you want to.

Looking at the feedback he unbelievably seems to have sold at least three of these to satisfied customers!

Steve I think you should go even if just to keep the rest of us entertained

I had a very nasty experience selling to him, resulting in him threatening legal action. He claimed to have no knowledge of how an Austin 7 is constructed. Though I now see that this may be true, I would advise everyone to approach any dealings with this chap with extreme caution. I certainly wouldn't advise visiting and then making sport of him, it may be both unpleasant and costly.

Steve, he's not too far rom me either. If you decide to go let me know, I'd enjoy the ride out...

Maybe it is more straightforward to use a Reliant Kitten running gear ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HOTROD-PROJECT-RESTORATION-ROADSTER-ROLLING-CHASSIS-SPECIAL-/162250051685?hash=item25c6db5065%3Ag%3Ac3cAAOSwImRYC4xn&nma=true&si=LXI3Dag8Rp81ven6OcYhcFYcFD0%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

John Davies
Maybe it is more straightforward to use a Reliant Kitten running gear ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HOTROD-PROJECT-RESTORATION-ROADSTER-ROLLING-CHASSIS-SPECIAL-/162250051685?hash=item25c6db5065%3Ag%3Ac3cAAOSwImRYC4xn&nma=true&si=LXI3Dag8Rp81ven6OcYhcFYcFD0%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

And you get a Bugatti steering wheel

I see that there is another just appeared on ebay, or could it be that the last one didn't sell?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Austin-Seven-7-Boat-tail-Special-/272433447573?&_trksid=p2056016.l4276

Nicely put Brian and having looked at the engine bay shot, I see it will require a few more nuts to complete! A clearer case of caveat emptor may be hard to find!

Bill

Brian Hutchings
I see that there is another just appeared on ebay, or could it be that the last one didn't sell?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Austin-Seven-7-Boat-tail-Special-/272433447573?&_trksid=p2056016.l4276

This is one of the worst yet.

This guy must have turned out at least seven or eight of these things in the last couple of years, with several of them being re-listed.

From his earlier listings, I got the certain impression that he was the builder. More recent listings have claimed to be "selling on behalf of a friend", or describe the thing in terms of "appears" to have had this, that, or the other done/not done, suggesting that it's not his handiwork after all.

We're the hell is he getting all the ski's from

for some reason, it reminds me of this below. (Although in this case getting the MOT would be far more amusing)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yabba-Dabba-Doo-Car-Flintstones-Ideal-for-Fetes-Galas-Custom-one-off-/192014947971?hash=item2cb4fb9683:g:v24AAOSw44BYF0sb

I see it's back on ebay so obviously didn't sell. I notice that it's being sold on behalf of a family friend. Hmmmmmmmm.

Brian Hutchings

I think we may be in danger of deluding ourselves chaps. I have gone through "Mr Williams" completed eBay listings and come to the conclusion that there is only one "waterski special" which he has tried to sell on several different occasions at a range of prices. On each listing the car was carrying the reg. plates ARD 584 and looks to my eye to be the same car.

Ian Mc.

perhaps we might see some Waterski special Replicas or an 'evocation' soon, even slightly more gawky but lovingly recreated.

Maybe a line of T-shirts "I narrowly avoided the Waterski special"...

Ian - there have been several, some with A7 engines, some with Reliant engines, some with none and one or two that were just kits of parts. There have been several registration numbers and various detail differences in the body design.

I'm fairly certain that not all have gone the whole way through the Ebay process, so they haven't shown up as completed sales.

Hi Martin, I checked everything that was checkable for that one vendor, completed listings, current listings, sold items but I could only find that one car, ARD 584 ??

Ian Mc.

AUE 525

Andrew Cooke

Strangely Andrew, nothing of the 2 or possibly 3 sales (!!) of AUE525 show up in my search. They were all in 2015 so maybe eBay has a time limit on its search parameters??

All I can find is listings of ARD584 on 4 separate occasions. 20/09, 16/10, 31/10, and 7/11 of 2016.

Ian Mc.

Ian McGowan
Andrew Cooke

Strangely Andrew, nothing of the 2 or possibly 3 sales (!!) of AUE525 show up in my search. They were all in 2015 so maybe eBay has a time limit on its search parameters??

All I can find is listings of ARD584 on 4 separate occasions. 20/09, 16/10, 31/10, and 7/11 of 2016.

Ian Mc.

I only found that one through the link off this site, and no luck finding the others that didn't have water skis but clearly fell out of the same stable. I hadn't considered that there was more than one waterski special until I read the comments above, just a number of 'Leeds' specials. So, yes, it looks like Ebay only keeps limited history.

Andy

Brian Hutchings
I see it's back on ebay so obviously didn't sell. I notice that it's being sold on behalf of a family friend. Hmmmmmmmm.

Its actually got a bid on it! Obviously someone who hasn't discovered these pages!

Apparently it's sold for £3k. Maybe the 'winner', being fairly new to the auction site, will be on here seeking some advice soon.

Bon courage!

Bill

Don't forget the chrome Ruby radiator chop shop special or Johnny's bull nosed racing evocation.

Johnny, how are you getting on with that?