Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Chummy radiator tanks.

Testing the water to see if anyone is producing new top and bottom tanks suitable for the shorter types of chummy radiator?

Re: Chummy radiator tanks.

I've not heard of any being made, but Rod Yates has a radiator contact who converts Ruby top tanks to provide Ulster type radiators, and I'm sure the same could be done to Chummy pattern. When installed in the shell you can't see the difference, except by opening the bonnet. There are still spare Ruby type rads around (I've got two) but the cores may be suspect. Surely you would use a new core anyway, so that need not be a problem.

Robert

Tony Wilder converted a Ruby tank from a scrap radiator to fit my Ulster radiator and, when you open the bonnet, you can't tell the difference. The tanks are the same, basic, size and it's only the position of the filler that's different.

Steve

I can confirm that Tony's work is excellent.

I recall some time back Charles Ping saying here that if top and bottom tanks were needed to ask him. I presume, maybe incorrectly, he has a source for these?

There was a chap named Stevens in Queensland who was making new top and bottom tanks for Chummys, but I haven't heard of him lately. Our friend Squeak will surely know of him, but we'll have to wait a week or so 'til Squeak returns from a holiday in New Guinea for better news. Bill

Bill Sheehan
There was a chap named Stevens in Queensland who was making new top and bottom tanks for Chummys, but I haven't heard of him lately. Our friend Squeak will surely know of him, but we'll have to wait a week or so 'til Squeak returns from a holiday in New Guinea for better news. Bill

Yes. Greg Stevens who runs Fuel Tank & Radiator Services in Brisbane made a batch of top tank pressings some years ago. He used to own a 7 but doesn't anymore. He might still make tanks or have the tooling. Website is http://www.ftrs.com.au/ and he has some interesting videos on core making

Charles

Ruairidh Dunford
I can confirm that Tony's work is excellent.

I recall some time back Charles Ping saying here that if top and bottom tanks were needed to ask him. I presume, maybe incorrectly, he has a source for these?

I just got my rad rebuilt with the old tanks by Tony Wilder. Brilliant job at a sensible price with a valve in the overflow to stop the water pump "froth" causing water loss through the overflow.

Charles

Thinking on it - it may have been that you just had a new top tank pressing (presumably from the source you mention above) and had offered it to somebody.

I think I remembered mention of it because I am always being asked for short radiators.

Cant you just solder a plate over the hole for the filler of a later one. Then turn up a new filler and solder in the appropriate place?

hedd jones
Cant you just solder a plate over the hole for the filler of a later one. Then turn up a new filler and solder in the appropriate place?

yes

Thanks for the information gentleman I have now solved the problem.