Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Restoration from Hell!

Thanks Bill, us "Ulsterioders" must stick together! Hope your project is going well..
Ian, both of mine ( one race and one road) were built from rolling chassis, the bodies having long, long departed, so have a clear conscience!
David B

I don't have a problem with Ulster replicas but I cannot believe that any Ulster original ever had a finish like that one.
I may be mistaken but IMHO it's been created/restored to within 10 thou. of its life and looks more fake than real.
If you want something to polish on a Sunday morning, trailer to static shows and be frightened of driving in case of scratches, this could well be the car for you!

ian Williams
David B
Whatever has an Ulster rep done to upset you, Lance??
Have a look at the one for sale at www.vandp.net
Looks very good to me, but I haven't counted the rivets!
David B

It is not that there is anything wrong with a good Ulster rep David, what many of us object to are restorable cars being broken up to build them. However that said good cars can also be ruined by restorers as proven here.

Hi David, Anything that's fake upsets my sensibilities! Paintings, furniture, Spitfires, Irvin flying jackets, Type 35 Bugattis and Austin Ulsters. I agree with Ian that destroying an existing car to make a fake Ulster is wrong and is, in my opinion unforgiveable, especially in the case of long wheelbase cars, which are not even close to Ulster spec. Luckily the new DVLA rules are discouraging this. If people want to make a reproduction from scratch, as in the case of the Bugatti, then fine, but to break an existing car, no.

Haha, give it a little time Duncan. I restored my first car 30 years ago and it now looks better than ever, which just demonstrates that provided it's used often and well looked after, a car can look as good, if not better than new, for as long as one likes.

Yes David, progress is good thanks and I'll be back for a further fitting in a few weeks and to make sure it doesn't look too new!

Bill