Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Carburettor problems

Can anyone help me? I am trying to find the correct level that the fuel in the Zenith 26VA should be? I would like to know the level as measured from the top od the bowl? It is a standard side draught. Thanks, Harry Fox

Re: Carburettor problems

Harry,
The fuel level is pre-determined by the cut off valve and its aluminium washer/spacer.
Apart from a slightly thicker or thinner spacer there is not a lot of adjustment available.
J

Considerably influenced by pump pressures which can vary considerably with effective stroke, spring etc as many cars have replacement pumps.

I don’t know what specifically recommended for Sevens but other Zeniths typically 1 ½ to 2 1/2 psi. With no low level outlet from the bowl, or hole in the top, hard to assess fuel level.

If in playful mood, 1.9 psi supports a column of petrol 5ft 6. This operated by the engine, not any priming lever.

Hi Bob and John, thanks for your comments. It was because I thought that I had done everything possible to solve the .Carburation' problem that I resorted to thinking about the level of the fuel in the bowl. I may not be all that good on Austin problems, (subsequently proven!) but I have a fair experience on Vintage aircraft engines and the fuel level and pressure when setting up a Marvel Schebbler carb is critical. I did solve the problem in the end. It was two dud spark Plugs! So, this idiot has learn't something!

Don't you just love a happy ending!
J

John, yes I do, I wonder if you have ever made the Brakes work on an A7 ? I have done everything other that arrange for an Anchor to pop out of the boot (it is a Nippy), but still it is still a bit sphincter clenching in traffic?