Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Ulster questions

Hi there, I've got a few(probably very basic) questions regarding Ulster bodies on a Ruby chassis but I guess I should introduce myself. I'm Robin, originally from Auckland, NZ but living and working in East Anglia at the moment. I've just picked up a bare Ruby chassis and looking to put an Ulster-stylied body on it to copy a wooden bodied one we used to have in the family not so long ago, hopefully to revisit some cherished memories of teenage years tearing around Auckland.

My main aim for this one is to be able to maintain modern day road speeds and distances easily. After having clocked up two London-Ulan Bataar-London rallies in a 1 litre Corsa in the last two years, I really want something with a bit more style that I could happily drive from say Alaska to Terra del Fuego. Purists will probably hate the next idea and that's to repower and beef up the driveline and brakes. Ideas floating around currently are anything from V-Twins to 660cc Suzuki Cappuccino engines. I've thought about the Reliant Robin engine option but after commuting in one throughout winter I really think I'd vomit sitting behind one of those motors again.

But anyway for now I'm looking to build up a body(in wood) so I can pack down into a container and when I return to NZ in 6 months time then I can pick up where I left off. So far I've got the chassis, stripped it of brake shaft brackets and rear pulleys. Also I've made a 1/10th scale version in balsa based off an old set of drawings, stretched to accomodate the 6'9" wheelbase but incorporated the same proportions from the rear axle back to mimick the 6'3". It seems to look OK.

After that novel, my big questions are:

Are there any suggestions where to cut off the rear Ruby extensions? Just anywhere after the shock mount?

How tall is the original radiator cowl or which one should I be looking for and which arrangement of the cow horns should I use to mount it?

Does anyone in the East Anglia area have one they wouldn't mind me taking some measurements just to double check I've done it right?

Very interested to hear any advice. I'm sure there'll be more questions as I go.

Cheers

Robin

Re: Ulster questions

Hi Robin, are you by any chance related to Harold and was it his green special you recall driving?

Without wishing to discourage you, I think you need to consider a few things: First if you are going to bring your project back to NZ and it is not currently registered in the UK you will make the already difficult compliance process here even harder. Making the engine drive train and brake modifications you are proposing will make that process an absolute nightmare!
There is a small but very active group of Austin seven special builders and owners in Auckland, come and see us upon your return we will be very happy to offer practical advice.

Rob,
I used Ruby chassis extensions on a 1930 chassis for my replica ulster. I removed the original extensions and after fitting the body on the chassis I worked out how much material to chop out of the near vertical part of the Ruby extensions and then welded them back together. They are much stronger than the high chassis extensions and the Ruby shock absorbers are shorter and perhaps therefore superior. I also welded a 1" tube between the free ends as extra body support. I think this mod is called Crook's cure and is in either the Austin Seven Companion book or The Special Builder's Guide. You can fit decent rubber block bump stops between the channel section on the Ruby extensions.
Dave.

Cheers for your input Ian and Dave. Might have to keep the extensions intact for a bit longer then.

I think you'd be right about the importing Ian. Hopefully it'll just be in bits and won't be seen as a complete car. I've got no documents or numbers on it so was hoping to submit to it LVVTA as a scratch build. More research is needed.

Yes, you're right, Harold's my old man. Would love to know the whereabouts of our one now. Think it went to Whenuapai from memory.

Cheers

Rob

I knew where the car was a couple of years back, and think I probably know where it went if you seriously want to find it.
lots of stuff here if you want to build a car, I think I would seriously think about gathering up the special tuning bits that are reasonably readily available in the UK. Crank, Cam, CR gear set, special head, dropped axle, etc, etc. Then when you get back to NZ get hold of a rolling chassis to build on, join the VARNZ, come and see us about body building options, ( see my special body build thread, or the ulster body build thread I have just started ) lots of help and advice available if you need it.

Our Ulsteroid is short chassis, but using a Ruby original which has been shortened and spread to allow the use of a later axle. I believe the later axle is stronger and it gives better handling. The body is the very first of Chris Gould's production, and the rear of this body matches up to the re-attached chassis extensions. There is a lot I like about the car, but there are details I would have done differently if I was starting again. It all began for me by buying someone else's incomplete project, and in the interests of getting it on the road quickly I worked from where it had got to for about 3 months of spare time. Get in touch if you want to look at it for ideas.

Robert Leigh

I think I wanted to build a LWB ulster I would purchase a standard ulster body and have a longer bonnet made,as the Monica Whincopp ? car built before the war and adapt the column and pedals to suit.

I agree that the proportions of a LWB Ulster are not the best, and the car Dave describes is much better in appearance. Joss and I have thought about this a lot over the past couple of years, and felt that another approach to the LWB Ulsteroid was needed. We decided that keeping the firewall in the std position but stretching the bonnet and moving the steering wheel back slightly was the way to go. We wanted something that was recognizably Austin but not trying to be an Ulster, something Austin could have build had they continued in the ulster vein with a serious LWB sports car. What we came with has evolved into Joss own car, I will try to post some pictures soon, I think you will find it makes an interesting study. I took a similar approach with my own special that I posted pictures about a while back....I must do an updated!