Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: 1937 Ruby Headlight

Good afternoon Chris. I suspect that you have the 'Wipac' 7" conversions.
If you intend to continue using the conversions I would look for a 7" unit that takes a 6v BPF (British Pre Focus) bulb which are available.
Try 'Paul Goffs' car and motor-cycle site.
Regards
Stuart

I have seen 7" 6v sealed beam units advertised on EBay but they come from the US. They are probably set for right hand dip.

A big thanks to all who have replied!

I have looked at the links...very nice & a bit pricey. Will phone Paul Goff later.

I may even think about going to reflector and bulb, we'll see.

Will post back when I get a result

Thanks
Chris

The m/c lamps might dip vertically. I used m/c bulbs with BPF 7 inch semi sealed car conversion lamps as were available in low watts similar the original 18w, enabling unlimited night travel and no great risk to dynamo. Bulbs dipped vertically. The convex lens probably gained a mph, despite extra dia.
The 7 inch semi sealed interchange with sealed units but whilst suitable BPF bulbs seem to be listed I dont suppose new semi sealed for BPF are available.

Having looked at and enquired about some of the options, I decided that it was not necessary to go down the halogen route.

This was because I would have needed to replace both sides and, since the car is never used in the dark, would have been expensive.

I found that the headlight units are the same size (7") as in my Morris 1000. So I used a new one of those together with a 6v BPF bulb from Jamie.

Good result!

many thanks to all who helped with my query.

Chris

I note some of the BPF bulbs advertised are of modest watts, at least on dip, and would enable extensive night running.

Original Seven lamps, altho weak, could be focussed into sharp bright beams which suited narrow roads of the time. The more dispersed light from modern lens illuminates the edge of wide roads but feebly on just 20 or so watts.

There are/were halogen BPF 12v bulbs available but a set I tried with stock semi sealed units give an absurd and useless pattern.

The one I used is 30/24w Bob