Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Poor headlamp reflectors

Good afternoon.
I have found the cost of re-silvering to be greater than the APF (American pre Focus) reflectors sold by the Seven Workshop. Also the optical characteristics of the new reflectors is vastly superior to the original.
I have been asked about having reflectors chromed rather than re-silvered, this I would not recommend as the reflective qualities are markedly different.
For me the ideal combination are new reflectors and the LED lamps sold by 'Classic Regulator and Dynamo Restoration) one of the 'cherished suppliers'.
Furthermore I always bond the glass to the reflector with a clear 'high grab' adhesive which makes the units more water resistant than originally and the APF bulbs can be changed from the rear.
Regards
Stuart

When I tried to improve Ruby headlamps with the APF reflectors I found that the Ruby lenses were terrible. They do not flatten the beam and if I didn't direct them well downward I'd get flashed...Has anyone decided similarly ?

Roger
When I tried to improve Ruby headlamps with the APF reflectors I found that the Ruby lenses were terrible. They do not flatten the beam and if I didn't direct them well downward I'd get flashed...Has anyone decided similarly ?

Hello. I've been fitting these 'APF' reflectors since the Seven Workshop started selling them 30+ years ago and I've never had a problem.
Were your reflectors and bulbs fitted the right way up? The black earth wire should be at 12'o'clock positioning the main beam filament on the centre line and the dip beam filament immediately above it.
Regards
Stuart

Thanks for posting the above Stuart , I am assembling mine today (if the bulbs arrive) and was wondering how to get the bulb in the right place.

Stuart Joseph

Hello. I've been fitting these 'APF' reflectors since the Seven Workshop started selling them 30+ years ago and I've never had a problem.
Were your reflectors and bulbs fitted the right way up? The black earth wire should be at 12'o'clock positioning the main beam filament on the centre line and the dip beam filament immediately above it.
Regards
Stuart[/quote]
Hi Stuart..It was about three years ago and I got some local expert advice so I'm pretty sure they are the right way up..Anyway I changed from the Ruby type lenses to some Miller ones I think were called cat's eye lenses.. I felt that they were an improvement. Roger

I have used the Seven Workshop headlamp reflectors for many years and have just come across a small problem with them. At some stage over the years the pressing of the register for the light fitting has moved so it is important to keep the light fitting with it's supplied reflector.