Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Winter tyre - 3.50-19

Depends who is scrutineering, I guess.

Perhaps the manufacturer could best answer that question, but they look OK.

The ideal solution might be to have an extra set of wheels made up with 4.00x18 WM3 rims capable of carrying Michelin X11 4.00x18 trials tyres. For snow use they should be used at a low running pressure, and fitted with internal rim clamps to prevent tyre creep. It is worth pointing out that these competition tyres use a very soft compound so their durability on tarmac is short.

The blocks of tread around the sides of the tyre look as if they could be more than 10mm apart, but it would be fun to turn up at a VSCC trial sporting a pair of these, just to see what the reaction would be!
I suspect they will cost somewhat more than the Chen Shing, in which case the Yorkshire Criteria ('Ow Much!!) would sway the argument.

Ian McGowan
David Cochrane
Charles P
There must not be an uninterrupted lateral gap between the side blocks.

Unfortunately these clearly fail this requirement.

David

David, unless I misunderstand the definition of uninterrupted lateral gap, I would say that the Heidenau tyre does not have the afore mentioned uninterrupted lateral gap between the side blocks???

Ian Mc.

Looks uninterrupted to me... (click thumbnail for larger picture)

Where as the ones I pointed out a few days ago, MIGHT fit the letter of the rules, if not the spirit!

I think they would be classed as an enduro tyre, and therefore not be within even the letter of the regulations.

Mike Costigan
Alan
That takes me back. Where was it Mike?

That was the MG Car Club's Wolds Trial in 1975, but I can't recall the exact location.

We did that event in about 1982, with Roger Waldron's Cambridge special. My Father won the event, and I was second, however, he wasn't invited to collect the trophy! Im not sure PWA7 club were invited again. It was out near Cadwell Park from memory, I think PWA7c ran an event at the same venue?

Stuart.

From Motor Sport, June 1938

Maybe I am interpreting "between the side blocks" too literally!!

Ian Mc.

What's an enduro tyre?

Surely that given its called 'Trials' is out of the question?

Stuart Palmer
Where as the ones I pointed out a few days ago, MIGHT fit the letter of the rules, if not the spirit!

I think they would be classed as an enduro tyre, and therefore not be within even the letter of the regulations.

If you compare the tread pattern of this tyre with the Blockley or Longstone 'Triple Stud' type there really isn't that much difference is there?

coming back to my question - does the Heidenau 4.00-19 fit on the standard Austin rim ?

On a standard 19" rim, yes.

Steve

Malcolm that picture shows a standard m/c trials pattern tyre. Enduro Tyres are much more knobbly but not as much as moto-cross tyres.

I notice that Heidenau appear to supply a 3.50x18 which would fit the standard Austin Van wheel, if Steve hasn't had them all for trials use!

PS Steve you should have a pm from me on another subject.

Regards, Stuart

stuart ulph

PS Steve you should have a pm from me on another subject.

Imagine that refers to my question to you yesterday Stuart. No, not received your message but my internet and email did play up a bit yesterday and this morning. Can you send it again please?

Steve

Will do so now, Steve
S

Does nobody use the Avon SM mark 2?