Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Ulster questions

Our Ulsteroid is short chassis, but using a Ruby original which has been shortened and spread to allow the use of a later axle. I believe the later axle is stronger and it gives better handling. The body is the very first of Chris Gould's production, and the rear of this body matches up to the re-attached chassis extensions. There is a lot I like about the car, but there are details I would have done differently if I was starting again. It all began for me by buying someone else's incomplete project, and in the interests of getting it on the road quickly I worked from where it had got to for about 3 months of spare time. Get in touch if you want to look at it for ideas.

Robert Leigh

I think I wanted to build a LWB ulster I would purchase a standard ulster body and have a longer bonnet made,as the Monica Whincopp ? car built before the war and adapt the column and pedals to suit.

I agree that the proportions of a LWB Ulster are not the best, and the car Dave describes is much better in appearance. Joss and I have thought about this a lot over the past couple of years, and felt that another approach to the LWB Ulsteroid was needed. We decided that keeping the firewall in the std position but stretching the bonnet and moving the steering wheel back slightly was the way to go. We wanted something that was recognizably Austin but not trying to be an Ulster, something Austin could have build had they continued in the ulster vein with a serious LWB sports car. What we came with has evolved into Joss own car, I will try to post some pictures soon, I think you will find it makes an interesting study. I took a similar approach with my own special that I posted pictures about a while back....I must do an updated!